Mechanical Lics and "traditional folk" tunes

eyeteeth

How does that work... do you have to do anything? If someone records a CD of 'traditional' songs... songs that have been around for what seems like ever. Can they just release it? Like Waltzing Matilda... Whiskey in the Jar... Long Black Veil... Drunken Sailor... etc. I mean... really... who wrote them?

How does that work... do you have to do anything? If someone records a CD of 'traditional' songs... songs that have been around for what seems like ever. Can they just release it? Like Waltzing Matilda... Whiskey in the Jar... Long Black Veil... Drunken Sailor... etc. I mean... really... who wrote them?

1. Assuming you are not recording a copyrighted version belonging to somebody else, you need not do anything. It might be a good idea to copyright your version(s).
2. As far as I know, "Long Black Veil" isn't traditional. I think Hoyt Axton's mother or grandmother was listed as writer or co-writer somewhere.

After a hundred years give or take LOL copy right will expire and songs become public domain. So, they have to be super old.

If you can find the songs here

http://www.harryfox.com/index.jsp

You should be able to easily acquire licenses to record and sell. They say even if you're not selling it you still need licensing, but most people don't get them for cover songs. You'll only need mechanical licenses if you're going to have actual media printed like CDs, Records etc. If not and it will be digitally distributed you'll want digital licenses.

That's how I understand it at least. I may be off a tiny bit, but all the info you need will be on that website above.

After a hundred years give or take LOL copy right will expire and songs become public domain. So, they have to be super old.

If you can find the songs here

http://www.harryfox.com/index.jsp

You should be able to easily acquire licenses to record and sell. They say even if you're not selling it you still need licensing, but most people don't get them for cover songs. You'll only need mechanical licenses if you're going to have actual media printed like CDs, Records etc. If not and it will be digitally distributed you'll want digital licenses.

That's how I understand it at least. I may be off a tiny bit, but all the info you need will be on that website above.

pretty much right on

Back