Measuring self noise on a pre amp

Randy5235

I have seen somewhere ( any one know where ewould be great) that by wiring I *believe* a 150k ohm resistor across pins 2 and 3 will allow you to accurately measure the noise of a pre unit under a dummy load. any ideas?? this sound right and what would be the best way to actually measue this ( no o scope here :( ) any ideas

Randy

Randy,
The only way I have been able to check self noise is simply this:
I first turn on my recording pregram with nothng plugged into the audio interface and see what the input noise floor is. Then I plug the preamp in with out being turned up and see how much it comes up in volume. Then I wil slowly turn it up and see how much noise is added. I keep notes on where the noise (without the mic) starts to get significant, and try not to get higher than that on extremely critical tracks. Otherwise, I don't pay a lot of attention to it.

Tom

there is really only one way to measure self noise, using a spectrum analyzer. Anything else is going to be subjective and limited to the other equipment being used to test. You could do the aformeationed subjective test by loading the front end of the pre with a suitable resistance and listen for noise. If you do keep the signal path as short as possible.
good luck
Kent Clemmons

Back