Measuring Decibels

bbbmusic

Here's my dilema,
I have played in bands for many years and we have always mic'ed everything which leaves all levels to be determined by the good 'ole soundman.
I have now gotten into a band that doesn't mic anything. With my POD I use channel A for the rhythm sound and B for the lead sound same with C & D.
If I were to use a decibel meter, what should the readings be for rhythm versus lead so that the lead is a bit louder. I want to take the guess work out of it all a bit. At times I think I have what I need only to find when we play out the lead winds up being lower than I wanted and doesn't come through as needed. I hoped with a decibel meter, I could setup the two channels adding a certain amount of decibels to the lead.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks
Bruce

Things must be a lot different now than when I played years ago...I just used the volume knob on my guitar to turn it up or down. Seemed easy enough.

You can't just use a meter to figure it out because we're talking about "apparent loudness". Two different frequencies at 85db might not sound like they're at the same "loudness" (look up Fletcher Munson for more information). The only real way to do this is to practice with the band beforehand and figure out where your levels need to be. It'll come with experience...and yeah, the volume knob on your guitar can help, as may a volume pedal.

Slackmaster 2000

if ur playing in a band a plan to play out (like everyone in a band evetually plans to do) and u want to see how good u sound get a reeeeeeeeeeeeallly long geetar chord and stand far away from what ur doing as if u were in an audience..... my last band i was in, i used to do this and had a friend adjust the eq on my amp effects etc... when u play without being miced, depending on where u stand in ur rehersal space, it can sound terrible, or perfect, and completely opposite to the other players.... by standing far away u can adjust the sound so it sounds balanced.

~dn

Thanks for all the help.
It sounds like I was doing the best taht could be done.
I'll just revert to a volume pedal.
Thanks again
Bruce

I used to measuer my db`s as a bassist by looking at the drummers, if one had an eye looking up and the other looking down or to the side I figured it was pretty punchy.. :)

Back