Me, a friend and 3 new songs

bobbo

I used to play in a band with a guy from my hometown and we get together occasionally to goof around recording for a day. Well, now he just bought a Boss BR-1180CD digital recorder to upgrade from his tascam 4 track analog that we used to use when I was over. A few years ago he came down to record with my new computer setup and I kept telling him to get into something like that, but he likes his compact ways. So he bought the Boss.
With this thread I have 6 songs. The first two (deloris enormous and easily taken) are done with his new Boss unit, the 3rd song (100 forms of fear) are done with his old 4 track analog, and the last 3 songs are done on my older computer setup I used to have (I have recently upgraded the computer).
I have to appoligize for the analog song because I probably didn't use enough care as in eq and such when transfering from an analog tape deck to the computer digital format, but I just thought it would interesting to see if you can hear the differences in 3 different recording techniques.
I think I posted the last 3 songs a few years ago, the first 3 songs are new though.
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/105/neil_down_wkissinger.html

I can't really go back to remix or anything since they are on his Boss, but any suggestions about the recordings would be great, as I can let my friend know of your recommendations for future recordings.
Thanks

Listened to 100 Forms Of Fear (of course, I went straight for the analog first) ... Sounds like a big production. Did you bounce tracks on this? It sounds pretty huge.

Good song. The drums got kind of buried as did the vocals. They sound like they could use a boost. Good playing, and the beginning really got your attention.

Then listened to Deloris Enormous -- Big difference in quality. The vocals sound a bit more out front and easier to understand. They still might use a little boost, though -- imhop -- I think I like this one better than the analog. The digital really affords you more flexibility and this song sounds like it has more life to it. Has a good driving quality. Good job!

Thanks for listening guys. Zeke, those drums are fake, I think we were using a dr. groove or dr. something? One of the programmable box kinds, but on the song easily taken, my friend just used his fingers to hit the pads (you can tell on this one because the tune goes off tempo a few times hehe).
boydrj, yes we bounced tracks on that tune. I can't remember how my friend recorded it with his 4 track, but we were able to get 2 vocals, bass, 2 guitars and the boxed drums on it.
Thanks for the suggestions. I wish I would have been able to use his 4 track to send it over to the computer, but I just have a cheap tape deck for that. I think he really likes recording with the digital stuff now. No lose of quality or the weird stuff that can happen with the analog 4 track, it was almost like the machine had a mind of its own sometimes.

I like Dog named Jim the best. On all of the songs , though, I noticed that the vocals are kinda buried to some degree. Lots of people dom this when they're not comfortable with their voices. These vocals are good enough that they should be mixed hotter.

Hey bobbo,

I listened to "deloris enormous" cause the title rocks :D .

Vox up please!! I know there are some cool ass lyrics behind that eq'ed and burried vocal mix. I'd love to hear them:) .

The rhythm sec sounds very tight and well tracked. The git fills get lost in the reverb and mix but sounded fitting and tasty enough.

The outro was a nice concept. I'd clean the vocals of so much effect and slowly add more to degrade (or upgrade) to the final overeffected vocal end. While this is happening, I'd let those git fills and licks have more of a say in the mix to keep the outro textured and interesting.

This sucker is a big ol' diamond in the semi-rough. With some remixing, it will prove addicting.

Hope that helps some,
Very catchy tune!!

peace,

Theron.

Thanks Guys, yes I kind of thought the vocals might be too low on many songs. He doesn't use good monitors, just some little speakers from a boom box and I've noticed through the years that he likes to use a lot of effects when recording which to me has made it kind of hard to hear individual instruments. Some cool suggestions on the vocals at the end of deloris, Theron.
Its fun recording this way because we only have about 4 or 6 hours each time I go up to his place and we usually get one song completed, sometimes two if we are going good, but the time limit can hurt the overall quality of the mix. But your suggestions are helping me so that when we do record again, I can suggest to him some of your ideas. It just goes too fast, so they are mostly just rough cuts. I can tell him the ideas here to help the tunes out next time.
Thanks again.

Hi there:

Deloris enormous. I love the "a.m. radio" vocal effect. Just yank out all the lows and 80% of the highs, and it's an "effect." You've been told it should have been louder already. I tried a couple of EQ tweaks to see if I could bring out the vocal any more, but most of the vox are sharing a lotta' the same frequencies as the distorted gits...so I didn't have any luck.

Easily Taken - Cool tune. Vox were more present. (funny, just saw that "boydrj" said the opposite :D :D).

100 forms of fear - NEEDS MORE CAT!!!

Actually man, I'm VERY impressed with the strenght of the material. I'm trying to be constructive for future recordings...b/c that's what you asked for.

Here's something that helps me with vocal levels: I'm not clear as to which of you writes most lyrics...or if both of you do...but what I do when I'm forced to record quickly (which is always), is to get somebody (usually my daughter) to TELL ME, in real time, what I'm singing...word for word...as it's playing. (This is one of those little activities that'll probably come up later in her life during some THERAPY session or something). ANYWAY, I think singers have a tendency to mix their vocals more quietly...it's a real common problem, and it's due MOSTLY to the fact that we already know the damned words, and we're rarely comfortable with the way we sound "on tape." So when my daughter (who wants desperately to get back to whatever she was doing before I made her do the "vocal check") is really having trouble telling me what I'm singing, I just push the vocal level up until she can repeat it in real time. Then I pull it back about half a db, and it usually sits okay.

Anyway, again, I'm really impressed with the material, and I don't think I'm alone.

POST MORE
-chris

I listened to Deloris Enormous.
Pretty cool production.

I liked the AM voice,especially against the bg vocals.
Nice touch.

Sounds like mabey the bass is a tad to loud though,overshadows everything.

Best to you,
Pete

Thanks for listening Chris and Pete,
We never know who is going to write the lyrics and do the lead vocals until someone just starts writing. Basically whoever has an idea will just start writing and they are usually the one who gets to sing. So, its all kind of goes pretty fast, but we find that it just works good that way, mainly because we don't have a lot of time. But I like the ideas of us trying to get the vocals more up front. I'll keep that in mind and we'll have to experiment for future sessions. I'm glad you all listened. I just wish he could come down to record with me and my computer setup so I'd have individual tracks at least saved on my computer where I could remix later if I wanted to. He just needs a better form of transportation, an older car with the windshield wipers that don't work, not good for a 3 hour ride back in a rainstorm or snowstorm, hehe.
Good ideas everyone. Thanks.
bobbo

This song needs EQing badly. Its the kind of song that would benefit from rigorous sculpting bec there are textures that occupy all the frequencies. Im not gonna detail all the EQing it could use bec I cant hear the textures clearly enough to even start making comments. Its all a haze. I do notice a hole in the upper bass/low mid area (200-500Hz). As far as writing goes, its a start.

revenge of the hillbillys

Of course I care what some hillbilly thinks. Even if he and I dont have a record in common. Put your confederate flags away and lets all be friends.

:)

Kramer's joined in.........

...........Hey Everybody!!!!!..............Conga line!!................

:D>>>:)>>>>:eek:>>>>:p>>>>>>:rolleyes:>>>>>:cool:>>>;)>>>>

Agreed.

Man, I'm getting the impression that you're feeling attacked. You shouldn't, because I'm not attacking you at all. I disagree with some of your content based input, I disagree with almost none of your sonic input, and I've tried to make my respect for you obvious. It's just music, man. My philosophy is: opinions are okay...even if they're not yours.

:D

Now, if you wanna' see what a FULL FRONTAL ASSAULT looks like, check out your first response to GT's "New Acoustic Guitar" post. That thing was fukkin' BRUTAL!!!

hehehe

No confederate flag waving here, or anywhere else that I've noticed. (I thought Bob was from Egypt???).

I'd be willing to bet we have more records in common than you might think...(well, if we include all of my illegal MP3 downloads).

:D :D
recreationally yours,
-chris

One More Thing:

Poor Bobbo's gonna' have a flippin' coronary when he checks his thread.

HOLY HELL!!! 56 RESPONSES!!!!

AAAALLLLLRRRIIIIIGGGHTTTTT.

(sorry bobbo...I'll stick to music)
:D

Back