MD8 won't read stereo minidisc

CellarCat

I bought a couple of minidiscs to record my band rehersals with to critique our playin and when i put them in the MD8 it reads as " No Disc " on the display . They were Memorex and quite cheap , two of them for the price of one Sony . Is this my problem ( buying cheap) ... any one else have this problem????

You have to be sure that the disks you are buying are for multi track recording and not just for a mini disc player. They are different.

Yo Cat in the Cellar:

Make sure you set your MD-8 to TWO TRACK. But, when you put in a two track disc, it should do that.

But, who knows how many ways the box can set up.

Or, your MD-8 cannot read the disc???

If the MD-8 can't read the TOC {table of contents} then, you won't hear much.

Also, if you record incorrectly, you will lose your data on the MD-8. It's very confusing sometimes but it works out fine if you experiment and ask....such talent on this site; it is amazing.

Have fun,
Green Hornet

If they were less than $10 they probably suck. I use the sony discs and have NEVER had a disc problem. They run about $16 in the stores, but you can find them a few bucks lower on the net.
I didnt even know memorex made data MD's.
-Nilbog

Sorry I forgot to say that they were stereo minidiscs not data discs. I just wanted to use two mics to record the band live to stereo.. my machine reads my data discs no problem (Sony's).. I tried the memorex discs again today and this time it read it and said " blank disc" , so it was ready to record...

Hey, CellarCat:

I bet you forgot to press the stop button again after the recording, or there was an itsy-bitsy power outage. Do you remember making different tracks, or just one big recording?

If it was just one track (big recording), I bet the TOC wasn't written to in the beginning.

Try a test run, making sure you press STOP twice (or three or four times, as I have gotten in the habit of doing). Does it still say Blank Disk after this test?

I hope so. Otherwise, those disks are junk. Tried other disks (Sonys?)?

Back