MD8 vs. VS-880EX

zerotosixty

I'm looking to upgrade from my fostex FD-4. I want a unit that I will soon be able to uprade to a DAW when I have the cash. Now should I get the MD8 and buy compressors, effects, and preamps that I can hold onto till I upgrade. Or should I buy a VS-880EX that has everything in it, and worry about the compressors and stuff later.

Yo ZEROTO SIXTY AND BEYOND:]

I use the Yam MD-8 and it compresses the digtial recordings so it's not as good as a CD. On the other hand, the Roland products, some of them, DO NOT COMPRESS THE RECORDINGS; it might be better? I've never heard a Roland box; I've only read about them here and in the trade magazines.

I am still learning the MD-8 but it is not very hard to take it out of the box and start recording. I do not know the learning curve for the Roland boxes but I hear it is not very easy.

The Yam MD-8 is a complete box; you do need a mic pre and an FX box; the Rolands come with FX.

So, I think you should audition both boxes and see which one fits your present needs?

Happy Shopping,
Green Hornet

I actually bought a FD-8 instead of the Roland VS-840Ex. I was able to take the Roland home for a couple of days and try it. I also had the video that come along with the machine. Yes, it is a great machine if you want the learning curve. Its very complicated. If you are like me and would rather turn a knob or move slider. I would go with the MD-8 or FD-8, maybe the new Sony unit?

Thanks for the info.
I think I'm willing to work with the Roland since I'm only 16, and I'm studying to go into the field of recording. I might as well give it a shot. :)

Curve schmurve... I picked up a used 880 with no manual. It was no major crisis to get things fairly figgered out. I was more concerned with the big picture, what it would do for me today and down the road. And being a used machine I saved a few clams. I admit I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but theres a reason Roland is the King of the stand alone unit.

Back