MD8 voume problems

nick6572

I am having a problem getting the volune loud enough when I burn a CD from my Yamaha MD8. The record levels seem to be fine. I am burning to a Phillips duel deck CD recorder. Even though I crank the voumes on both units the overal volume of the CD is not where it should be. The tracks sound good when played back on my stereo but you need to turn up the volume quite a bit.

Also CD's burned from the MD8 or from my computer (KaZaa) will play fine on some stereos but not on others. Are some blank CD's better or more compatable than others?

Any suggestions??

i've had the same question..

I've been finding out, per reading, a decent compressor can help between the MD8 and the CD-R. A lot of positive posts for the RNC (compressor) ~$150 which I'm hoping to replace my Alesis 3630.

I think too much AD and DA converting, etc.. isn't good with average equipment.

ex.
Microphone (analog) is converted to (digital) MiniDisc.
Then the MD8/MiniDisc stereo output converts the Digital to Analog again going to the CDR. (no fiber optic output)
Then the CDR converts the Anaog signal to Digital to the actual CD (3rd time!).
Then the CD player converts the Digital back to Anaolg (4th time!)so you can hear it thru your stereo car deck or home audio system..

Converting analog wave to Digital, done several times has made my copies "trebly" sounding.
I have found making copies from the "1st" generation to sound a bit better than making duplicates from a 2nd or 3rd generation CD.

One fix, I'm thinking of is to get a duplicating CDR deck that would at least eliminate one A/D conversion.

This may add to the loss of your volume also?
As with everything there is alot of difference in A/D converter chips, as I understand it.

Recording on a PC would only do the conversion 2 times...once going into the computer and once coming out...so a really good soundcard would be an important link in the chain.

So you think by compressing the entire mix as it comes out of the MD8 and boosting the signals via the output gain this may help. Should I compress or just use the output gain only as a way to boost the signal??

Thanks

Ive never had a problem. The Md8 outputs are designed to work with the inputs of nearly all consumer tape recorders, stand alone burners etc.... Is it possible your not tracking hot enough? Are your level meters for each track within 3 db of redline with the faders at unity? If you not tracking hot enough the summing bus on the master fader set at unity won't be efficient. Another optin is that youve damaged the opamps of the strereo output.

SoMm

When you say faders at unity are you referring to the hash marks between the 7-8 mark?? I usualy track with faders below that mark but within 3db of clipping. I achieve this with added gain from the MD8 or from the preamp I am using. I found when the individual track fader was set to between the 7-8 mark I had NO headroom when I went to mix down. Almost everything would be maxed out at 10. My tracks are hot. As close to clipping if not sometimes clipping. Is this my problem? I think the manual sucks by the way. Probably every Newbie thinks the same thing.

nick6572 said:
When you say faders at unity are you referring to the hash marks between the 7-8 mark??
Yes

nick6572 said:

I usualy track with faders below that mark but within 3db of clipping.
You should be tracking close to unity as possible on the individual tracks, but don't worry about the master fader position as much at the tracking level.

nick6572 said:

I achieve this with added gain from the MD8 or from the preamp I am using. I found when the individual track fader was set to between the 7-8 mark I had NO headroom when I went to mix down.
The faders don't have to be at unity during mixdown. Typically on any master section, that would overload the summing bus and cause distortion. You can drop the faders below unity at mixdown. Tracking at unity just means your optimizing your gain structure as not to induce noise or distortion.

nick6572 said:

Almost everything would be maxed out at 10. My tracks are hot. As close to clipping if not sometimes clipping. Is this my problem? I think the manual sucks by the way. Probably every Newbie thinks the same thing.

The MD8 is unique because the tracks are converted to analog prior to hitting the stereo bus, which means your going to get distortion rather than clipping. But it sounds like something isn't quite right. You might have a problem between the the Burner. The dual deck could possibly require a +4dBu input, but the MD8 sends a -10dBv Stereo output. Check the manual or internet for the input specs of the dual deck unit. If its +4dBu then you will need a converter to bump the level.

SoMm

Volume.....

interesting on the db...
1) check the levels as mentioned.

2) Can you burn a "good loud" CDR from another source other than the MD8? If YES..

..go to the MD8 and look further......

I always try to keep the TRACK Faders in the 7-8 area, and adjust the PreAmp/Gain and the Master Faders last(hopefully their in the ~7-8 also!).

3) You are coming from your Stereo Out? to the CDR...
Try your Monitor Out, maybe a bad/weak op-amp?

4) try recording from the MD8 to another CDR, different brand?

I am comming from my stereo out. I'll try the monitor out. I can burn a loud CD from other sources. Wish I had another burner to try but I dont. I just got a new computer that has a burner in it.

Anybody know what it would take to get the MD8 into the computer so I could use that burner??

MD8 to CDR

The cheapest route is the Stereo RCA cable with the 1/8" stereo mini plug. ~$3.00

You run the mini plug into your sound audio card input...probably have to make a wave file, then drag and drop to the computer.

or you if you can afford it...got to a audio store take one home and compare...if no difference return it.

This was very common practice and was encouraged by high-end audio stores....the practice of trying equipment and returning it seems to have digressed due to the millions bilking the system at TArget and Wal Mart.
But in the Music/Audio world....go for it...
I did blow out a pair of B&W's once on a new Zepplin Album...Immigrant Song...and the high end audio store still let me try another pair!! ahhh the good old days....

Sound Level

So how is the level issue going?
Anything to share?

I was just mixing and yeah, this is a interetsing issue to me too.

Maybe it's the CD-R.
I've got an old Pioneer CD-R standalone and it has some effect on the sound which supposedly is the AD/DA converter chips.
Sounds thin/on the treble side in comparison to the MD8 and a Sony Minidisc recorder.

I've never owned a Leveling amp, or a good Compressor (got the 3630 which is now out of the chain...dreamin' of a RNC).

Another angle I want to try is to give my friend with Cakewalk a CD and see if "Noramlizing" the song/recording will allow bumping up the levels without hitting the red's!

Keep posting......

Back