MD4s->midi->drum machine...How?

AndyD

Hello peeps
This is my first post as I usually found out what I need to know elsewhere or at least enough to work it out myself. This, has got me though.
How do I get my MD4s (fairly new to me, used to have a Tascam 4 Trk Tape machine) to use it's built in midi stuff to run my drum machine which I could then play through tracks 5-6 in sync with what I put down on tracks 1-4?
Do I need more hardware or is my grey-ware failing me?

Ta

AndyD

I've got an MD8 and I haven't figured out the midi synch stuff yet. Normally drums and/or bass are recorded first and then the other instruments. It's easier to have the other instruments follow the drum beat than the other way around. I'm curious though as to how to use the midi synching features. I've got a Zoom 234 with midi in that I'd like to experiment with.

Right, here goes :-

First off I have an MD8, not an MD4 so excuse me if any of this does not apply to you.

In a syncronised midi system you need a master that can transmit mtc (midi time code) or midi clock data and a slave which can receive the above and syncronise to it. the MD8 can only act as master in the above but I've read that the MD4 can act as slave.
If you drum machine cannot do the above then you will have to get a midi sequencer or midi sequencer software for you computer that can.

Here's how my system works :-

The MD8 acts as master and transmits MTC to my midi sequnecing sofware on my PC.
The midi sequencing software receives this and syncronises the tracks programed into it with the incoming signal.
The sequnecing software transmits the midi data to my midi tone generator which plays the tones in syncronisation with the MD8.

You have to ensure that the time signiture and tempo are set to the same on the master and slave to make it work properly.

And that's it really.

Phil G & Graverocker

Ta very much.
I've had a wee fiddle (so to speak) and it would seem that I do need a sequencer. More money.
I'm getting into unknown territory here. Any ideas? I may post a new thread as it would be great if any prosective box could do a bit more than just sequence. Strings might be nice. I'd rather get another box than software as, though I obviously have access to a computer, it's in a different room and actually belongs to the better half. This one is actually at work so I'd better go.
Cheers again

AndyD

Back