Md421

bubbagump

I just scored an MD421 on ElBay looking to use it specifically on my floor tom. In other's experience, how have you positioned this mic and set the roll off? Not that I won't experiment myself and listen, but I am curious as to what others do and why. My floor tom always sounds a little too "slappy" recorded and I hope this will fatten it up a tad.

I just scored an MD421 on ElBay looking to use it specifically on my floor tom. In other's experience, how have you positioned this mic and set the roll off?
About 1" in and 1" above the rim, pointed towards the center of the floor tom, is where it usually works best for me. The roll-off ring should be in the "M" position (Music).

Agreed- the 421 has become my go to mic for just about anything except vocals. And it's not shabby there, either.

Agreed- the 421 has become my go to mic for just about anything except vocals. And it's not shabby there, either.

I've even heard some killer vocal tracks on it. Usually with male singers who lack OOOOmph!

heck I may need to pick up another one...

I use mine on my floor tom as well about like harvey said. I would use the 421 for almost anything though. It kills on distorted guitars, bass, kick, even room applications.

Just checking back on this thread. Yesterday I used the 421 on its maiden session at my place on floor tom. All I have to say is holy crap! I had used 57s (or 57 like mics like the Audix i5) for floor tom forever and this thing is just butter. No fricken wonder it is a standard. Slappyness gone... great big floor tom tone heaven.

Last edited:
I noticed huge difference in clarity wih the 421 vs the sm57 or any other dynamic i have tried on the floor tom. It really opened things up. Eventually i would like to have at least 3 of them.

I really liked the 421 on a bass guitar cab. If the bass amp has a D.I. output, I would blend the two for excellant results.

Back