Md 441

nonovice

Thinking about purchasing this to record rock vocals. Have heard good things about this mic when used in a less then flattering acoustic enviorment. Apparently works well on vocalists who like to swallow the mic as well. The re 20 has also come up a few times in my research. Just wondering if anybody has had luck with these mics in a similar situation or any suggestions of their own.

The MD441 is a great microphone. As you imply, it has a hypercardioid pattern which helps it reject unwanted noise off axis. I have one, and I've used it for recording and live. I don't know about the "singers who like to eat the mic" thing...

The RE20 might be better for mic-eaters because of its variable-D design, which reduces the proximity effect.

Both of these mics have relatively low output.

AGCurry said:
The MD441 is a great microphone. As you imply, it has a hypercardioid pattern which helps it reject unwanted noise off axis. I have one, and I've used it for recording and live. I don't know about the "singers who like to eat the mic" thing...

The RE20 might be better for mic-eaters because of its variable-D design, which reduces the proximity effect.

Both of these mics have relatively low output.

The MD441 isn't a hyper cardioid, it's a super cardioid. Aside from that, it has a very nice off axis response which is more important than being hyper or super.

It's not my first to grab vocal mic though, but in a recording a band at once situation together with the vocals it really is a winner because of that off axis response.

It's a great mic for horns and winds as well, actually it's one of the very best dynamic mics, even beter than many condensers.

The MD441 and the RE20 are both excellent mics, but you might also want to consider the Shure SM7. This is a great mic for people that "eat" the mic. I have favored the SM7 lately over all of my condensors for vocals because of it's up-front sound and it's ability to smooth my vocals out. Also, I don't hear much of the room when I use this mic up close.

Cheers,
Zach

Great mic. I use 'em on snare, guitar cabs, anywhere I'd normally grab a 57 I always atleast try a 441. Where I've been most imressed is using as a vocal mic on a guy that sang while playing drums. What little leakage there was in the vocal track from the drums at least sounded good.

Thanks Guys

I actually have a little cash together so I think I'll purchase the md and re mics. I'm sure I'll find a use for the one I don't use now in the long run. Just glad to hear I wasn't barking up the wrong tree. Is there any condenser mics that you guys might use instead of the md for a similar situation?

nonovice said:
I actually have a little cash together so I think I'll purchase the md and re mics. I'm sure I'll find a use for the one I don't use now in the long run. Just glad to hear I wasn't barking up the wrong tree. Is there any condenser mics that you guys might use instead of the md for a similar situation?

The difficult part of being an engineer is getting to know your microphones. Any guy can put a microphone in front of a cab and make it sound decent after some tweaks.
But recording a jazzband, bigband, orchestra, choir or even worse an orchestra and a choir requires skill and craftmanship in order to make it sound really good.

So you have to know which mic to use in what application and most important: why.

This has everyting to do with pattern, sound, off axis response and a number of other things.

So, if you ask: 'Is there any condenser mics that you guys might use instead of the md for a similar situation'? I would say yes, but in the case of the MD441 it wouldn't be a cheap condenser, at least an MXL V77S but I'd rather use a Neumann.

Because the MD441 will swallow most cheap condensers for breakfast and shit it out before lunch, like Fletcher would have put it.

IMHO the MD441 is about the only dynamic that can compete with really good condensers, it will sound wonderful on many applications, it'll sound gorgeous on soprano and alto saxophone and even great on tenor sax or trumpet. It'll even sound great on violin, how many dynamic mics can sound great on violin? Perhaps only one and that might be the MD441.

Enjoy your MD441, it will cost you a couple of bucks, but you'll never regret you did spend them.

Thank you Han

That was very helpful i guess as i've been browsing throgh other threads i have also been considering the shure sm7. what do you think?

I can't tell you much about the SM7 because I don't have it. It seems to have the capsule of the SM57 and many peeps like the mic.

I own three Shure mics but only use one, the 57, as a talkback mic. :D

Back