MCU or C/8???

B_rad

I'm using PTLE 6.9 and I'm torn between these two control surfaces. I'm leaning towards the Mackie for a couple reasons. The faders, including the master fader, which is nice. And the jog wheel which i think will come in handy, also the expandability. I did check out the C/8 at GC but wasnt that impressed for the xtra 200.00............ HELP ME..... US 2400?????Maybe this one??? Farts

I've got tha MCU and love it. I've never owned any other control surface so comparisons I can't make on authority.

As you, I really wanted the jog/shuttle controls which I use all the time. Being able to get at EQ and plug in controls from the MCU is nice too. If you're working more tracks than you have control surface for, getting to the "hidden" tracks is a piece of cake.

I picked up a double footswitch which lets me record and stop when working along. I'm looking at an expansion module but they're really quite expensive. Per track costs seem to stay high even after purchasing their MCU whereas some of the other units I priced out got a little cheaper with the increase in track counts.

Over all, I'm a very happy camper.

You can't use the master fader with protools. PT only supports HUI protocol, which didn't have a master fader, so no control used with protools will have master fader functionality. That said, I was leaning towards a mackie control too, especially since you can find them used on ebay for $700 ish and you rarely see a command 8 for much less than what you'd find new.

B_rad said:
Then whats with the ninth fader on the Mackie???
The Mackie Control Universal works with Logic and HUI protocols (hence "universal"). Protools only supports HUI, and if you look at the HUI it doesn't have a masterfader, so the protocol based on the HUI namesake doesn't either. So neither MCU or tascam US2400 or any other surfaces that interface with Protools using HUI emulation will have a working master fader.
http://www.mackie.com/pdf/mackiecontrol_pt.pdf

(6th bullet point in "How HUI mode works" section

Interesting, thanks alot for that info. Still leaning mackie though. Cheaper for one. Dam, maybe I should just buy that beringer one!!!! I guess it boils down to personal preference. Hey does the ninth fader do anythin?

Back