MC Gitarz & HevyD collab

HevyD47Ca

We are collabing on another site and this is what we have so far:
Whiskey Song

I need the ears of the board to let me know how the mix is going on this one.
I want to make sure it comes out good because I'm a huge fan of MC's..............

So, how is the mix so far and what does it need?????

HevyD47Ca said:
...what does it need?????

A bourbon chaser?

I listened to this last night and a second time tonight and I've got nothing constructive for you, sorry. It just sounds great.

HevyD47Ca,

Great beat.

The mix sounded fine to me. If you are trying to find something in the mix to change, it seemed a little left channel heavy to me.. maybe pan the solo guitar at 2:10 a bit more to the right.

Porter

I luv this kind of smoky wood room soundin stuff. Id like a bit more separation in the guitars. Maybe let that rythymn spread across both sides a bit more and let that solo come down just off center of the middle and give it a bit more width. The hats are washing over that dance with the kick/snare/bass a little strong. The 4`s on the bell sound great.

Wow. Nice stuff. I do feel the right hand side is a bit empty before the vox though, feels a bit odd? Anyway, its great. How was it recorded ? :D

Great tune guys!

Beyond the pan abnormalities already mentioned, I would suggest bringing the drum kit up in the mix and drying it out a bit.

There is a bit of a dis-jointed verb going on in mix with very wet drums and guitars and fairly dry vocals.

I would suggest stereoing the guitars, meaning acoustic to one side and the electric to the other.

The playing skills were first rate and the vocals also were well done but are lacking a bit of edge or growl for my tastes.

So far, so good, gentlemen!

Cheers! :)

Thanks so far Guys......

Here is a remixed version and MC finally got a chance to send me his harp part. I think it is the final piece to this mix.
What do you think??
Whiskey Song

HevyD47Ca,

That harp track was the track that was missing in the last mix wasn't it, because now it's in there the whole mix sounds balanced, ie the right channel has more in it now. The only nit pickey thing I could pick is the harp is off a couple of times in the 'instrumental'. I apologise I'm at work and can't give an example of where, bit I just that's bluesy. As I said before, it's a great song.

Porter

Really dug the tune fellas.....good mix....
would like to hear more bass and less harp (just a smidge....ain't I technical? :D )

The thing that through me was the first time change...the harp sort of got off track there just a bit...

guits sound excellent fellas...
so do the drums....good vox too...

Rock on gentlemen :D
Joe

I'm ridin my ole jalopy down the dusty road next to the tracks.. the myrnnah bushes line the side of the road. Jed pulls his sweaty hat off his head for a moment and brushes it against his overalls.

Delmar is lookin in the icebox for a nickel cola, but ole man Robes's dog starts barking at him from a chain tied to a post on the porch and Delmar jumps back...

Really great authentic sounding stuff.. dynamics were captured really well, drums sound well done too. How were the cymbals done?

Ha nice swampy feel is right. The drums weren't what you'd usually expect, kind of off beat for the tune but somehow works well. Nice harp good tone Good job

Cool song. I like it as it is, but I think maybe it could be mixed a little better. I don't really know much about how to mix the blues, but I'll try to give some suggestions (I like to see live blues, but I never really listen to blues studio recordings). The acoustic sound in the beginning was nice. When the electric guitar comes in, it seems to mash a bit with the acoustic. Maybe the pan idea mentioned would separate them a bit.

I'd also agree that the vocals were a little dry. I like the harp - maybe pan it a bit more to the center and bring the level down a tad. The drums to me sounded a little mushy - almost like they were pegging the compressor a little too much? The kick drum could be fuller. It works though.

Nice work!

Good stuff.

On my speakers the harp is too prominent and the drums too far back - the kick in particular is almost inaudible. Then again these puny old Koss speakers don't have much bottom. I like the way the drums are played. Could probably also get away with more reverb on the vox. Nice song

THANKS, FOLKS!!!

Qwincy – I witcha on dat! Thanks for listening !I’ll hoist one for ya tonight! (maybe two)

Porter – I think it’s fixed now – we were missing a part ‘cause I’m a techno idiot!!

Toki987 – Glad ya liked it!! I think Hevy and I are gonna try some more of this when I get technically more proficient to send him decent files to work with.

CanopuS – Here’s how I did my parts – acoustic/mic/ART pre/compressor/Boss-BR-1180. Harp and vocals, same chain. Drums are Discrete Drums loops.

The Ghost of FM – I think the disjointed stuff comes from the fact that we exchanged 128kbps mp3s – the tracks were already processed once. Lots of interesting things occurred in the transfer process! You’re bang-on with the vocal comment – I’ve smoked for 30 years trying to get that edgy, growling sound – hasn’t happened yet!! I’ll keep burnin’ em up until I get it right!!

Porter – thanks for the re-listen!! The harp was cut on the day I finally figured out how to play the damned thing. It’s the first harp part I’ve ever played – so there’s my excuse. If you could hear the raw track you’ d really get a kick out of it!! Lots of funny breathing noises and ‘honks’.!!

joro – Thanks for the listen and the ‘technical’ advice. I’ll ask Hevy if he’s got a ‘smidge’ knob to tweak!!

Khompewtur – YOU BEEN THERE! And the barking dog is right there in my avatar. He’s a mean mistreater – don’t be messin’ wif ‘im. Thnaks, man!! Cymbals are part of the Discrete Drums loop that I chopped together.

Ismellelephant – You’re right about the drums – not what you’d expect. They were my first run at using loops, too. (Lotsa ‘firsts’ in this cut) – I’m no expert yet with the loops – still learning how to overcome some of the rhythmic limitations. Thanks for the ears!!

Paco – That’s the stuff we’re looking for!! But I think rather than try to beat this horse, maybe Hevy and I can do a collab from the get-go so we’re on the same sheet of music. I didn’t give him a lot to work with – he had to work some magic just to get us playing together!! Thanks for listening!!

Bulls Hit – The drums are played by a guy named Chris Morrow. I like the loops a lot – just have to learn how to use them more to my advantage. Appreciate the comments!! Thanks!!

Everyone – Sorry for the late replies – I haven’t been able to keep up with all the demands for my time – but now I have two weeks off!! Maybe I can talk Hevy into trying another track from scratch. (I just like to hear that dude sling them blues around!!)

Back