Mbox 2 not recieving power

greenmilitia

Alright, so heres my situation. I bought an Mbox 2 yesterday, got it home and it wouldn't power up, so this morning I returned it, got a new one, brought it home and had the same problem. When I plug the mbox into my usb the light doesn't come on. When I launch protools le it says it can't find the hardware. I've got a g5 Imac that is running osx 10.3.9 as far as I can tell from the digidesign website, my comp. should be compatible, but it still won't power up. I've tried switching usb cables, tried all my usb ports. In my system preferences my mac appears to recognize that the mbox is there, which is kinda weird, but if anybody could help me out that would be awsome. thanks in advance.

Check bios could be some kind of setting and make sure plug and play is on. Did you check if anything else will power through the port?

Not a make man but this still apply's. Are you using an external usb hub?
If so bypass it and go direct to see if that works. Some hubs lack the power to run certain things.

**Edit** I noticed the mbox 2 is firewire and also has an external power supply plug. Are you positive there is no problem with where the power supply is being pluged into?

F.S.

Freudian Slip said:
**Edit** I noticed the mbox 2 is firewire and also has an external power supply plug. Are you positive there is no problem with where the power supply is being pluged into?

F.S.

I think you're looking at the Mbox 2 Pro which is firewire...I think he has the plain Mbox 2 which is powered by the USB bus

are you using the cable that came with the Mbox 2? Someone here contacted me recently about having problems with his Mbox and he realized it was because he had gotten a longer third party cable which wasn't working with it. Once he switched back to the original it worked fine.

Do other USB devices work with your computer?
Have you done the combo update for your mac?
You should contact Digi tech support...that's what they're there for. It possibly could be bad firmware.

Ahhhh. Well I have certainly had bad usb cables that where practically new, but not two in a row. If he is using his own cable it's a possibility that it could be bad.

Good Luck. I'm sure it will be a head smacker, You know something two damned simple.

F.S.

hey thanks for the replies guys.

DirtyP I'm not really sure what you mean by bios and plug and play, sorry. I went through the manual step by step and did everything it said about installing pro tools, and setting up my hardware. Yeah, I tried every usb port on my mac(3) with no results I'm not using a hub, and I tried switching the cable, same thing. I do have an oxygen8 keyboard which is also powered through usb and it works fine. I've tried the mbox with and without the oxygen8 plugged in. I tried calling tech support this afternoon, but after holding for about 10 min, my cell dropped the call. I'm gonna try them again later today. Thanks for all the help though, I appreciate it.

oh yeah heres another weird thing, protools opens as if it recognizes the mbox is there, but the power light still doesn't come on, and I can't hear anything, though the headphones or monitor out. I had this problem with both units as well. But as long as the mbox is plugged in above my oxygen8, protools opens. also on the digidesign sight, it said that PROTOOLS isn't compatible with the version of osx I'm running, which is strange because I can actually do everything fine in protools, except hear anything or record any sound. but I can import, and effects bounce to disk, save sessions and all that. Anyways if your all not confused by now, I still am.

okay, that is really strange.
upgrade your OS if you can first. That will probably be the exact same thing Digi tells you to do when you call them. They'll try and make your computer up to spec before trying to blame it on their own hardware/drivers.

Back