Mbox 2 Factory and Plug-in power on a Dell PC.

pisces7378

Hey guys,

Here's my computer's specs.

Dell Dimension 4600
Operating System Windows XP Home Edition 2002 (Service Pack 1)
CPU Pentium IV 2.4 gHz
System Memory 512 MB RAM
Video NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 440 with AGP8X (Dell)
Audio SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

According to the digidesign website, my PC is well up to snuff for the system req. for running an Mbox2. Now, I know that digidesign also wants to sell as many units as possible. I wanted to ask you guys if you think that I will have a lot of problems with not being able to run effects?

I will be recording an acoustic guitar (Gibson SJ-200) through a pair of AKG C451B small diaphram mics (2 descrete tracks). I will be singing lead and possibly two or three backing vocal tracks (3 more tracks) and will be adding anywhere from 1 to 4 percussion tracks like tamborine, or bongos etc. (Total track count approx. 9-10)

I am sure that my system and run that many tracks, but do you think that I will like only be able to run one instance of reverb and an EQ before the CPU chokes down? Will USB cause more problems? I realize that ProTools has some elegent ways of using real time plug-ins and bussing tracks through to save on CPU power.

Anyway, I am not rich, so I wanted to ask you guys what you think, before I buy a new Mbox2.

Thanks guys!
Michael

as I posted in your other thread...the USB doesn't matter when it comes to the number of tracks or processing capabilities. It only runs your I/O. Your computer controls the rest.

It's generally recommended to have 1GB of RAM to run Pro Tools or any recording program. Also, your hard drive rotation speed can play a factor as well. 7200 RPM is recommended. You also may consider buying a second drive. One for Pro Tools and Windows to be on...and the other one for all your sessions/audio files. Also, before you install PT...TRASH EVERYTHING ON THE COMPUTER THAT DELL INCLUDED WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT. Dell puts a shit load of crap on their computers and programs secretly running in the background can hurt your performance. Especially Anti Virus.

Other than that, 9-10 tracks should be fine. It all depends on how many and which brand of plugins you use. Some use more CPU than others.

Back