Maybe this is the wrong forum but...

T.J.Hooker

Hey Guys and girls if there are any.

Maybe this is the wrong forum but, when I turn on all my shtuff. The woofers in my monitors pump in and out a little, And there is a static noise only for maybe 1 second. I've seen this before in different places. What the hell causes this ? Is raw power somehow getting to my monitors ?
Let me tell you what I've got goin on here. I come out of the back of my computer and into the aux1 of a marantz 1060 console amp. Then I preamp out to a Harmon/Kardon citation 16 poweramp, and that runs the monitors. All of my stuff the DAT, the synth, the drum machine, the mixer,the cpu, the effects for my ax, everything but the guitar amp is on two power bars in one plug, one powerbar is plugged into the other. Is that dangerous ? I just wanted everything on the same circuit, for ground purposes. Am I stupid ? What the hell causes this ? :mad:
Thanx, T.J.

I have experince this in a live situation...
Mfg's suggest turning off the
sound source first....Mixing board...then power amp...but I always have experienced a buzz or a pop...depending on the amp... I have tried to turn the volume down on the amp first,and still have the buzz or pop...Do you have a volume knob on the speakers? If so
turn them all the way down and the noise should quit. Or disconnect them from the power amp.

Well, when I turned on today I noticed that that this problem is on the left side only. I have a peavey XRD 680 Powered mixer, and when I would turn on the phantom power the speakers always did that. That's why I asked before,
"Is raw power somehow getting to my monitors ?" But now I see that it is all on the left side . Maybe that narrows it a little. could this be a dirty jack on my marantz or my Harmon ?
:confused:

[This message has been edited by T.J.Hooker (edited 07-09-2000).]

Since I posted this, I've been Investigating the problem further. It seems the problem lies in my marantz 1060. But what is it a dirty jack like I said earlier ?

On my amp, the outputs get switched on about 1 second after I turn on the power. There's a relay in the amp to protect the monitors from getting hit by a DC juggernaut). As long as you've got power going to the monitors, you'll hear whatever noise/static/residual current is on the line. If the amp is *completely* off then it's surely impossible for you to to hear anything. No?

I don't mind hearing it, I'll sit and listen to it all day. I just don't want to ruin my speakers. What are you saying I should turn on the Marantz before the poweramp.

Back