May be hope yet..

Rock n' Roll will rise again from the ashes. After this other stuff is done. The atmosphere has changed. People are harder. Woke. The rock attitude might not fit these times.

You will need the right kind of eyes to see it in its full glory.

I have to agree with EZ. Mayer is a great guitar player and songwriter. Clay Cook acknowledges Mayer's songwriter genius. Had Mayer and Cook stayed together they could have exceeded the success of Lennon and McCartney, but they both have achieved success as guitar players and songwriters separately.

From the article:
Every time I hear Bruce Springsteen sing that famous line in “Thunder Road,” I think about the “guitar gods” from then and now – Duane Allman, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Jimmy Page, Alvin Lee, David Gilmour, Carlos Santana, Jack White

…and the list goes on and on. But these days, you might be hard-pressed to think of mainstream guitarists that matter – the ones where you can literally hear a lead and know who it is.

Indeed it is true that there has not been a "mainstream guitarist" of recent popularity who has even come close to achieving a "signature tone" of his or her own that is immediately identifiable.

John Mayer isn't in possession of a "signature" guitar tone of his own whenever he plays straight up rock or blues, but he does possess the unique ability of employing acoustic guitar chordal structures that are easi!y recognized.

Indeed it is true that there has not been a "mainstream guitarist" of recent popularity who has even come close to achieving a "signature tone" of his or her own that is immediately identifiable.

John Mayer isn't in possession of a "signature" guitar tone of his own whenever he plays straight up rock or blues, but he does possess the unique ability of employing acoustic guitar chordal structures that are easi!y recognized.

The problem with that is the way guitar player change their tone and style as they progress and grow. Clapton long ago moved on from the Beano tone, George Harrison's tone had changed over the years.

There are good new guitar players. Two I can think of right now are Marcus King and KIngfish Ingram. Both are in their early 20s, and can pick a mean blues lick, but they are doing much more. Then you have Orianthi, who has a pretty recognizable tone. She's been around since the early 2000s.

They are out there, although you may need to hunt for them.

Unfortunately with the way music is marketed these days, a new musician has to carve out a niche and hope that things go viral, and then mainstream.

Unfortunately with the way music is marketed these days, a new musician has to carve out a niche and hope that things go viral, and then mainstream.
There are these young ladies by me. They play out front the grocery store and mall. Right before covid they won the 2019? Emmy for best new duo. I saw them a couple time playing the pet parade and this one dudes backyard party. I don't know how they did it. They even had a McDonalds commerical. Must be nice. There is some hope, when I see chicks like this rock!

They dropped a new song yesterday.

TWINS! of Double Identity
FCfaQY6XoBMLn3B.jpg

Screenshot 2021-10-28 192739.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with that is the way guitar player change their tone and style as they progress and grow. Clapton long ago moved on from the Beano tone, George Harrison's tone had changed over the years.

There are good new guitar players. Two I can think of right now are Marcus King and KIngfish Ingram. Both are in their early 20s, and can pick a mean blues lick, but they are doing much more. Then you have Orianthi, who has a pretty recognizable tone. She's been around since the early 2000s.

They are out there, although you may need to hunt for them.

Marcus Smith is great. No doubt. Not nearly as flexible as Mayer IMO. But great.

There are these young ladies by me. They play out front the grocery store and mall. Right before covid they won the 2019? Emmy for best new duo. I saw them a couple time playing the pet parade and this one dudes backyard party. I don't know how they did it.
I'll tell you how they did it. They were let in. By them. Just plain got lucky.

Back