Maxell XLI and XLII ¼" Tape from 1980's - Any Market Value?

beau

Does the age of used Maxell 1/4" tape have any effect on its market value?
All of the tape I will be selling is from around 1980-1985.
Should I put it up for sale, or will its age make it of little interest to anyone? If so, I'll just cut off the tape and sell the empty reels.
Thanks.

PS
1) I've been spending weeks copying to digital and endlessly spooling tapes back and forth, and the tape never breaks, stretches or disfigures and looks, to my non-professional eye, like it's in excellent shape.
2) I don't know if this matters, but virtually none of the tape had multiple erasures and recordings. I typically would rarely re-record tape more than once and I'd go to new tape for third generation copies.

I've got Maxell from that era and it is just fine. If its not shedding, I'd sell the tape. Maxell is usually pretty good stuff, expecially the XLII

Thanks technoplayer, I'll put it up on the classifieds here.
The tape I have is both XLI and XLII, but since it's all been moved from reel to reel I don't know which is which anymore :o(

I'm also about to post a topic about whether used Maxell tape with splices has any market value - I've been chucking all the tape with splices, even the ones with only a few splices, but I'll try to sell it too if there's any chance of buyers.

Last edited:
Not knowing what kind of tape is on the reels is the biggest problem with buying used tape of any kind, unfortunately. If you're sure it's only Maxell XLI and XLII it's very easy. XLII has no backcoating and it is more gray in appearance like Type II cassette tape... because that's exactly what XLII reel-to-reel tape is, only in 1/4" width... and of course on 1-mil film, so it's thicker than cassette.

:)

Back