Max $5k to spend on recording setup: Story included

DanielSeriff

I hope this is the right forum. I've been reading lots of posts and talking to numberous people but I'd love to have my specific situation addressed.

A bit of background:
I'm a senior in college at a classical conservatory. I study classical guitar in school, and diligently study jazz and other musics outside of school. I've done recordings for my own bands in the past.(aardvark 8 preamp PCI device, Rode NT3, At4033, some SM58s etc.) So the past experience was great and helped me get a working knowledge on how the software works and some ideas on micing. Fast forward to present day. I work at a semi-professional recording studio. Projects are mainly jazz and classical music. Owner has great ears but doesn't necessarily know all the details behind the workings of everything. I'm trying to learn from all the resources I can find. The recording studio has Digi002, control 24 system, Mackie 824 monitors, a number of neumanns U87 etc, AKG 414s, earthworks drumkit, earthworks tc30s and a number of other lower budget mics. He's got a great space that he has built in his basement with control room, isolation booths for instrumentalists, drum room, etc. I've been learning at lot there. He doesn't really have anything portable to take on site. At my school there are highschoolers all the way to graduate school. All kinds of people are always doing recitals, audition recordings etc. I would like to start recording these recitals and audition tapes for $50 an hour. I've already had numerous people ask me to record on site but couldn't do it due to lack of mobile equipment. There's a friend of mine running a motu traveler, and some shure ksm141/sl, and digital performer. He can get a pretty good sound in the halls and is charging $30 an hour.

I need non-salesman biased help. I of course have talked with a rep at a particular store and I'm sure he's got his ideas just like everyone, but money could be influencing this.
I've got a max of $5k and if I can do under that I would love to. Keep in mind that I can mix things at this studio I work at. Borrowing equipment is another story. I basically need my own setup.

I'm looking at:
Digi 003 $1175 (I want to stick with protools)

Neumann KM184s $1350

Shure KSM44s $745 (I'm hoping to get these for cost plus 10% from the music store I teach at)

Looking at either Tannoy 5A Reveals for $645 or Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 for $565

SKB 6u Rack $98
4 stands $42 each
4 Monster Cables $50 each
Furman M-8 Power Supply $49

I already have a pair of Sony 7506 headphones for now.

This is a little over $5k if I can't get the Shures KSMs for cost plus 10%. I'd be willing to do this. I hope that this will be a significant enough setup to be happy for a while. I know I'll want to upgrade things at a point down the road.

I'll be recording anything from Tuba and piano to classical guitar, jazz guitar, marimba etc. Anything instrument that you would find in a conservatory I am hopefully going to be recording. I am also into many other styles and want some versatility to record demos for myself solo...all the way to a jazz quintet or rock group. I want to use this as a tool to book gigs as well.

Thank you for any help! Sorry it is so long winded.
-Daniel

I love location recording. I mainly record jazz. (This board might benefit from a dedicated remote recording forum like some other boards have).

I have two set ups. If I need lots of tracks, I have an Alesis HD24 with Sytek preamps and an SP828 rack of preamps. Adding the line mixer and power supply gets it all pretty heavy, but it sounds good. On the quick and easy side, I have an Edirol R4. In either case, I take the tracks home and dump them into Cubase (you could still use Protools).

There are many mic choices. Whatever you do, I might only spend some of your cash and hold some back in case you feel like you don't like the first choice you made. I never seem to stop lusting for different mics. I don't hear a lot of remote guys using the KM184's as much as some other mics. I have a pair of Beyer MC930's for small cardiod condensers. Having another pair of switchable patterns mics like the Shure KSM's is a great idea. You never know what stereo method will work best in a room - it's good to be prepared.

I love ribbon mics for jazz (I have several Beyer ribbons). They are great on drums and horns (I use them for room mics too). For omnis, I have some Oktavas with omni caps and an Earthworks mic. It's good to have some decent dynamic mics around for jazz too. An RE20 or similar for upright bass; they work great on sax too.

For jazz and classical, you probably don't need a ton of tracks. You need good mics and preamps. I have not used the Digi gear so I don't know how the pres are. If you are usually going to keep it simple with just a main pair, I'd go big on a nice two-channel preamp.

Keep posting the progress. :)

I think that you could stick with some more budget mics, for now just get a good set of MSH or Karma mics for some rough stuff, SM57 mics work great for amps, and seem to handle a lot of other things in pinch, a nice pair of LDC mics for piano and such, maybe solder your own cables? could save you some money there, gonna need a snake sometime as well.... what kind of CPU are you gonna power Pro Tools with?

Build your own racks, there are plenty of designs online and you can get rails cheap... your idea about the Furman is a good one! A lot of venues have bad power outlets and weird buzzing.

How willing are you to get your hands dirty? Live recording is NOT always going to be PRETTY! one thing I would say is to get a compressor, or limiter in case someone goes crazy with levels on you... Clipping sucks, and it can be known to happen live.... Soft limiting can save your butt time and time again!

Good mic stands are one thing I would not go cheap on, good clips and cables are a must, make sure all gear is marked and written down somewhere.... gear walks when you do these things :mad:

Harvey might be able to help you get a good idea of some mics, that would fit your starting out budget... I don't think high end mics are the answer here...

You can save about $100 if you can solder and make your own cables as opposed to buying them premade. Check out redco.com, get some bulk cable (I recommend mogami 2534!) by the foot, 4 xlr males (Neutrik NC3MX) and 4 xlr females (Neutrik NC3FX) and solder them together.

Back