Material for practising mixing?

Joza

Ive been reading about mixing a little now, and Im eager to get that "knowledge" into practise so that I might start developing some real skills. However, I don't really have anything to mix.

My own songs are made with virtual instruments and they hardly ever get as far as to have real vocals, so mixing them is quite a different animal compared to mixing real recordings.

So I was wondering if you guys knew a place where you could download unmixed invidual tracks of some amateur band for example? Genre doesnt really matter as long as its not like hip hop or dance (Ive never listened to them), neither anything too extreme. Pop, rock, heavy (to some extent) and so on are all fine.

And what about how did you start developing your skills?

And what about how did you start developing your skills?

I think a lot of us began honing our skills in our lonesome or with a friend. Many of us made our own recordings and that was our "practice" material. Most of us happen to play instruments to go along with our interests in recording..

As for practice material, I don't know of a website that has the ideas you offer. Sometimes there is mixing contests on these forums, you could search for them and maybe snag the tracks. You can also do more mixing with your VI too. They do sound pretty good to boot I bet but they have to interact with the other VI so you can improve the tracks I bet.

Thanks for the reply. I tried searching on this forum but sadly the files for the competitions are no longer available. :( However I found one song immediately (https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=282245) so Ive been mixing it now and Ive enjoyed it. I guess I'll send it there when its closer to finished.

Hopefully I can find more of those after Im done with this one.

Back