Matched pair

andydeedpoll

i do love smilies...
Hi,

I was looking at getting a matched pair of condensors to use as drum overheads, on acoustic guitar and possibly for doing live recordings of larger ensembles (brass bands and things).

I was thinking about the Oktava MK012's (this would probably be as much as my budget would allow) or the MK319's... I know that's comparing small condensors with large condensors. To be honest, I'm a bit stuck as to what would be most suitable, though if I had to choose now, it'd be the MC-012's

Any other suggestions?

Ta!

Andrew.

I don't think you'll find a better choice than the MC012.

I have several, and I've had a pair of MK319's. I also have a pair of Beyer MC930 which are touted as being very similar to the classic KM84's. I would never sell the Oktavas.

You named the stuff they excell at. Drums and ac. guitar. I love them as a main pair for live recording of an ensemble, especially with omni caps.

You must get the omni caps as well. I use them more than cardioids.

I don't think you'll find a better choice than the MC012.

I have several, and I've had a pair of MK319's. I also have a pair of Beyer MC930 which are touted as being very similar to the classic KM84's. I would never sell the Oktavas.

You named the stuff they excell at. Drums and ac. guitar. I love them as a main pair for live recording of an ensemble, especially with omni caps.

You must get the omni caps as well. I use them more than cardioids.

Ah, you've just doubled the price for me with the omni caps too. To be fair, I'm not recording in any particularly nice rooms, so it won't be too big a deal if I don't get them straight away.

May well order them tonight.

Thanks.

Andrew.

You know, even in bad rooms my Oktava omnis sound good. I can't say the same about other omnis I've used (Earthworks and Avenson).

The omnis are just bigger and more natural.

Good luck. :)

Back