"Match EQ" plugin Experiment to hear the effect on same model but random mics

Tomeh

Keith Rogers inspired me to take a little time for a "Match EQ" experiment. Thanks Keith.

After PDX Smitty asked about using a non factory matched, but identical model microphone with his first I thought this might shed some light on what is possible?

I know "Match Eq" is available on Logic Pro so it's probably an option on other programs, perhaps by different names?

It allows you to sample a track to analyse that track's average frequency response, then use it as a reference to compare against a second sample.

You can select "Match EQ" and it will apply an eq that makes the second sample match the reference's average frequency response.

So for the experiment I took part of a mix that I am just working on, played it back in mono through my left monitor, and set up 2 microphones that are the same models but are not a "matched pair" about 1 meter in front of the monitor, at about tweeter height.

I played the mixed track back while recording it through both mics ( Cardioid pattern).

Then I used the mix track to capture the reference sample on Match EQ.
Then used it as a reference while sampling the microphone captures to then create a matched eq setting. I've bounced this result to compare in playback to the original mix. See One of pair matched to source track

I also took the first microphone and used it as the reference and "Match EQ'd" the second mic to it. It is attached as well. See attachment "#2 of pair Matched...."

For the original mix snippet in mono see attachment "Reference for pair...."

Levels for each mic were set roughly by just eye balling the input LED's on the assigned tracks, you can fine tune each to match if you want.
The mic's are the same model but I have no idea when each was made and it's path to me. They are not "Factory matched.'
The sample matching #2 mic to #1 has maximum smoothing applied and only 60% "correction applied in the option of the plugin.

Use a good set of headphones or a good monitor setup to review.

I also set up 7 completely different microphones with a cheap measurement mic on 8 seperate tracks and did the same recording. Then I applied the cheap measurement mic as the reference for each to see how close they might sound as this would be the wildest combination that I could think of. Different manufactures, models, diaphragm sizes, LAD, SAC etc.

Let me know if you would like to hear those and I can add them?

I think most will agree that Match EQ when applied with common sense can probably do as well as a factory matched pair? (#2 of pair matched to reference)

Let me know what you think of the quick experiment.

Cheers,

Tom eh

IMG-0694 (2).JPG

Attachments

• One of Pair Matched to source track.mp3
    2.4 MB
  • #2 of pair Matched to reference 60% smoothed.mp3
    2.4 MB
  • Reference for Pair.mp3
    2.4 MB
Back