Masterlink Tutorial?

hasbeen

Is there any literature or a tutorial that can walk me through typical settings used in mastering? I have a Masterlink and am using it for mixdown in my home studio. Not for release, mind you, but for my own songs. I am familiar with the functions ie eq, comp, normalizing by name but the manual does not go into detail about a typical mastering session. Would love a book called mastering for dummies!

hasbeen said:
Would love a book called mastering for dummies!
Won't happen.... mastering is an involved process that takes a lot of skill and experienced listening - plus a hugely expensive critical-listening environment...

Go to Bob Katz's site - a number of good articles to help you understand the process though... http://www.digido.com

A lot depends on the type of music you have recorded. What is it, and how many mixdown tracks? What instruments, vocals, etc. Any effects added to the tracks already? Please reply, and I will try to help. The most important question is, though, is anything wrong with it before mastering, or is it just fine as is? If nothing is wrong, don't screw it up. If you can identify the problems, you are well on your way to fixing them. Yes, big studios have lots of expensive gear and talented, trained people. Home recordists often do not, an are required to muddle through as best they can. I mastered my CD by listening to it through regular old living room speakers. It seems to sound great on all other systems I've tried it on. Lots of compliments from the people who bought it, even if it's not in the same league as the pros. Then too, some of the "pro" stuff sounds like over-processed crap to my ears. Matter of opinion. Al

My questions are probably specific to the Masterlink, but I am wondering what the typical settings would be for compression, eq, normalizing etc on this machine for a tune that is already decently mixed?

Already decently mixed? Then maybe you don't need any of the dsp you mentioned. The limiter might help you, though. Try this: set the level meter to hold the highest peak, then play the tune. Make note of the highest peak. Then set input gain to boost overall volume so that the highest peak will be around -4db. Then, activate the limiter, set the max output level to 0db (which is the default), then run the threshold down to a level that makes the music sound better as you are listening to it. Keep running it down until it sounds worse (all volume loud and the same level), then back up again until you get it just right. It will probably be somewhere around -5 or -6. You probably won't need to use any other dsp. Try it, and let me know how it works for you. Al

Back