Mastering

gidman

I, being my own worst critic, am not totally pleased with any finished song for one reason or another.

I lack the skills to "master" a finished recording.
The eq is off...too bassy/boomy, too much high end, vocals too soft... too loud...
I can't get all the tunes the same volume with out distorting...
These guys are my friends, and its seems that the more they want me to do any certain mix, the worse it gets. Its my first attempt with an all origional band. I want to do it right.
How do I get "that" sound?
I have 25 years in the music industry but not on the engineering side. I have a good ear. I guess I'm trying to hurry to complete this for them. I have told them that this stuff takes time to get it right and I want it right. On some tracks the guitar sounded so crappy. I played his equpment and found out that he has a pick up that is microphonic. He will overdub the tracks or redo the tunes with new pick ups.

http://www.bmgsound.com/mp3

take your pick...

for hi fi or lo fi streaming:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/280/slow_joe_crow.html

Help !!! I need some input please.

Gidman

I would start with trying to fix all the tuning problems. If the frequencies are not layering on top of each other right, there is no way you are going to get the kind of mix you probably want.

Weird clicking sound throughout the mp3. Any idea what that is?

You probably have very severe room tuning problems that are causing you mix with this much muddy low end. Start listening to a bunch of CD's using the same D/A converters you are using to mix so you can get an idea of what stuff "should" sound like in your room and system.

I could think of a bunch of other things, but, I think the above would be a good start.

Ed

Ed,
First of all thanks for your input.
The mixes were done before I had a decent reference monitor. On the mixes I was using two stage monitors.
Not a good idea.I now have a nice set of cerwin vega.
Old, but nice sound.I have listened to pro cd's through my a/d converter, so I have the reference for what I'm looking for.

The new mixes/ recordings will be posted on both sites when I am happy with them. Anything, would be an improvement over what you listened to.
The clicking noises were three things. Bad guitar, bad chord, and the buffer setting on my pc, I have since taken care of the problems. I edited most of the pops out so what you heard wasn't near as bad as what I had to start with.The guys in band were happy so we proceeded. The new recordings, do not have the pops and clicks, thanks to this wonderful site and cakewalk.
I have since thown an anchor in their rush to stardom by being a picky producer. I told them I didn't want my name on something that sounded like crap. I didn't realize how much time is spent on the final mixing and mastering. I am so sick of listening to the tunes. I finished one yesterday that I was happy with. I might try another this afternoon. By myself with no input from anyone from the band!!!

Gidman

Break out the parametric and the RTA! :) A tape saturator plug might help tame that high end some, too, and thicken things a bit. I like the song I'm listening to, and its not a bad recording, just thin. What preamps mics and converters? That might be where the thinness is coming from.

Paul,
Thanks for your input.
It depends on what song your listening to. Day Job and Ice cold were done on the first day I purchaced my 3208 Mackie. So I attribute the thiness to my lack of experience with the board. Plus I used an akgc3ooob for vocals. Not good.
I have since purchaced a tube mic so that helped on the vocals.
The recordings are getting better as I go, kind of learning on the fly. If you could go listen to Whore or Mary. These were done with the tube mic. I have re-recorded Day job and Ice cold. I am currently working on them.
I have an out board DOD rta. Is there a software program that I could use to analyze the EQ?
Thanks,
Gidman

Back