Mastering with Wavelab

glamslam

Hi all
I recently scored a copy of Wavelab and I intend to use it to master some tracks I've recorded in Logic Audio. Does anyone else use this program and if so what are the essential things I have to do when mastering? I don't feel the track I want to master right now needs any more effects or more dithering for that matter. It's more a question of balancing out the high, mid and low....
This is my first time mastering so any other general tips would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

I use WaveLab and like it a lot.

Generally my approach has been to export a 24-bit .wav file from Sonar (my recording program). No dithering has been applied beforehand, but it has been mixed and all desired FX added.

In Wavelab I usually start by trimming beginning and end to remove any excess silence (or apply fades if necessary). Then I remove any DC offset.

Then I do whatever the mix needs in the plugin chain section (Master Section). Normally this involves some or all of:
EQ
Compression
StereoImage Enhancer
Limiting and Volume Enhancing (L1 from Waves Ltd.).
Dithering to 16 bits
Edit Audio Attributes to drop file to 16 bits.

Save the 16-bit file for burning to CD. (Note I usually save the 16 bit .wav file under a new name, so as not to destroy the starting .wav file in case I want to change something I did later down the road.)

You can, BTW, use Wavelab to burn to CD as well. I also have used it's Global Analysis tool on each mix to check RMS volume. It has helped me tremendously in getting somewhat even volumes from song to song.

Good luck. You should like the program, but like everything it will take time to learn.

Ed -

Actually I don't. I added that particular item as an afterthought just before I hit the submit button since I realized that it's another thing I utilize Wavelab for. But generally I do it as one of the last things. (Your point being, I presume, that compression and limiting can raise the tailoff level of the fade?)

Sorry for the miscommunication.

maybe this should be in the sonic foundry forum...but I thought I'd jump in on this thread. I have CD arch, love it...but someday my Plextor is going to die, and I suppose my new burner won't be supported by CD arch. Will wavelab accomplish everything that CD can?

Back