Mastering: Wavelab or Cubase SX?

Dom414

ok, so which should i use?

i got a copy of Wavelab Lite with my soundcard (DMX 6fire 24/96) and it doesnt look like it does much more than what Cubase can do.

Does the full version of Wavelab do more and make it worth getting or does the mastering section of SX achieve the same?

any pros/cons appreciated. Cheers.

nb. was gonna post this in cubase section, but i guess this is a mastering question?!

You can't burn CD's from cubase. You can't print PQ sheets, CD text, isrc codes, or anything else that you need to do to produce a redbook CD.

Of course, you can't multi-track (easily) in Wavelab.

Farview said:
You can't burn CD's from cubase. You can't print PQ sheets, CD text, isrc codes, or anything else that you need to do to produce a redbook CD.

Of course, you can't multi-track (easily) in Wavelab.

true - though i only know what i'd need half of those things for!

ok, let's say i've done my mixing on cubase and i just want to burn my own discs (and have Nero) and dont need the album compilations up to pro redbook standards.
i would like to crossfade in and out the odd tracks, which i imagine wavelab would be more able to do if you can burn from it?
problem is the helpfiles on wavelab lite are crap so i dont know if i'm missing out on features or not!

Dom414 said:
i would like to crossfade in and out the odd tracks, which i imagine wavelab would be more able to do if you can burn from it?

Yes, Wavelab does that. It also has some nice analysis tools, and good editing tools too.

You can crossfade stuff together in cubase, but nero won't let you put a track marker in the middle of a file. So, without wavelab, you won't be able to do stuff like that.

There is CD archetect by Sony that handles all those burning and sequencing duties. If you do the editing in Cubase, CD architect will take care of the rest without overlapping capabilities.

nero lets you split files into multiple tracks, you just hit "properties" on a track and you can split it as many ways as you want

Why not both? (bear with me). Some retailers over here do Cubase SE and Wavelab essential for £150 ($260) eg

That would be quite a nice little bundle of software for music making and CD production for a pretty good price.

I don't have any experience with wavelab essential so you might want to look into that a bit more. Cubase SE is great though.

treymonfauntre said:
nero lets you split files into multiple tracks, you just hit "properties" on a track and you can split it as many ways as you want
Will it let you burn a CD with no space between tracks?

well you gotta consider something else...

the architecture of wavelab is different than cubase. Meaning, wavelab is designed better for mastering (and cleaner) than cubase would be. In my opinion, let things like Cubase and PT do the tracking and mixing, then let things like Audiocube, Wavelab and Sadie do the mastering.

Plus all the addtional things the fellas already mentioned. Preferibly wavelab in this situation.

But if all you're doing is cutting your CD, then you have various options for good CD burning.

Back