Mastering tips for not pro, but not newb level recording engineer

nascentjunkie

If anyone has the time, this would help me ALOT! I need someone to run through how they master a song. I obviously don't need extreme detail, but how would you say you master a track. I want to know things about levels, obviously, and coloration(bass, mid, treb...) and such like that. Essentially, what happens from the mix to the master, that gives it that master.... Thanks everybody, you all rock!

Pick up a copy of Bob Katz's "Mastering Audio-The art and the science." Then practice endlessly.

Wow, you might as well ask, "How do you make desert for a meal?", "How do you play the 9th inning of a baseball game?", or "How do you bring a woman to orgasm?" The details completly depend on the meal, the game and the woman. ;)

Nevertheless, I'll tray and give a very general outline to the workflow when I do it. Keep in mind I am not a pro mastering engineer with specialized mastering gear. I am a pro mixing engineer who also happens to do basic mastering when there is not budget or end use need for the Big Boys...

First thing is to take a break between the mixdown and the mastering. I try to make this break at least an hour long, but if the deadline, budget and workload/workflow allow for it, I'd often prefer to let the mixdown marinate in the studio overnight before I go back to master it. The idea is to step away from the console, get out of the room and let both the ears and the brain rest (or at least work on other things) for a while. Coming back to master a mixdown "fresh" instead of chrning right through both the mixing and the mastering in one fell swoop is (for me anyway) a real imperative. The mixdown aways sounds entirely different to me after the break and the work always cones at a higher quality for me that way as well.

After that break the first thing is to give the mixdown a run-through listen and make sure that the mixdown is indeed a keeper. Often times after the above-mentioned break, I'll hear something in the mixdown that got past me when I first made it because I was still too close to the mix. If I need to, I'll then go back to the multitrack, make whatever tweaks I need and make the final mixdown.

Once I am sure I have a keeper mixdown, then I'll look at the waveforms and the levels. It depends totally on the type of content I'm dealing with, if there are dynamics in the mixdown where there are a handful of peaks that are far and above the "average peak" level (so to speak), I'll knock them down manually using the wavefrom editor. Some on this board think I'm an anachronism for using a waveform editor for something as "silly" as actually editing waveforms, but I find this step to be very helpful when it's called for.

The rest of the peaks I might take a limiter to, or I might move right to a compressor; this is a call-em-as-you-see-em thing, it totally depends on the content. Sometimes whether or not to use a limiter or compressor, or which model of each to use can depend as much on the desired sound as it does with technically taming the levels. Having choices here by having more than one plug and/or outboard rack unit is almost as important as having a decently large mic locker is in the tracking phase. I don't have a super-wide selection myself (three limiter and four compressor plugs, plus a couple of channels of outboard limiting and tube and optical compression), but it's enough to matter. What sounds good on a rock anthem won't necessarily sound anywhere near as good on a folk ballad, etc. Having the choice of what to go to is like having the choice of several irons when approaching the green on your favorite golf course. A 5 iron to a fast green 80 yards away is probably just not going to cut it ;).

As far as levels; I'm one of the few non-headbangers around here apparently. The stuff I work with rarely, if ever, benefits from crunching a song anywhere near a single-digit RMS, and even the "commercial" stuff that is sounds like crap to my ears when it does. (Listen to Fastball's "The Way" and tell me it would not have sounded a thousand percent better if they had not gone commercial and squashed that otherwise nice song until it was as flat as a pancake.) However, that doesn't mean I won't try and get what I can out of each song level-wise and (more importantly, if making a CD) try to make each seperate song in a group either match in volume or have relative volumes that will evoke the desired results when plays as a group. Typically for me this means I'll wind up with songs somewhere in the -14 to -18dBRMS range, with -16 being far more typical (the real raunch or synth stuff will go to -14 and the highly-acoustic and dynamic stuff might go as low a -18, but those are rare extremes for me.) Others will tell you that even -14 is too quiet and that I'm an a__hole for suggesting otherwise. Take it all as you will.

Once I have the levels set, I might need to apply a little EQ adjustment to the mix, as the tonal balance often changes after compression. This stage is entirely optional, but sometimes a good idea, not only to correct for compression artifacting of the timbre of the song, but also sometimes to help the song fit in with the other songs on a CD project. But the EQ is usually pretty gentle at this stage, If I find that the compression causes me to need more than a few dB of EQ up or down here and there, then that is usually an indication to me that I have either pushed the compression too far, perfromed the limiting and compression process wrongly, or have used the wrong compressor. I those cases I'll go back and perform the compression over a different way.

After I have that all sounding fine, then it's a matter of providing and fades or tail verbs at the end of the song that may be necessary. Again, this depends upon content; some songs have the finishes already arranged into the mix, on others the tail of the song is left ragged for the engineer to take care of.

Still other times the finish is there, but the mastering process itself dictates that the end be re-finished. Often times if there is a slow fade or a noticable verb tail at the end of a song, by the time the song gets through all the processing of mixdown and mastering the finish doesn't sound right anymore, in which case a new fade slope or reverb tail may be applied.

Then I take the resulting product and play it back on "normal" end user systems and see how it sounds, perhaps bringing in another trusted ear for a second opinion, if available. If it sounds passible, I'm done. If not, I'll stick the shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger with my big toe. ;)

G.

If you *must* master your own material, I agree on taking a break from it. But I'd measure it in weeks and months instead of hours. I make it an important habit not to master my own mixes, although I've been "forced" into it on several occasions. I've don't think I've ever been satisfied with the job six months later. No matter how happy the client may have been, I know my approach woudl have been much different if the mixes weren't "fresh" in my head. But that's probably for another thread...

One of the major problems with mastering one's own mixes is the lack of objectivity - It's impossible to approach a mix that you're familiar with in that manner. It comes down to the essence of the process - Listening with open ears and an open mind. I sound like a broken record with this, but you need to listen, "visualize" what the mix *should* sound like when finished, set up a chain to make it happen and tweak it.

The problem of course, is if you're visualizing what it should sound like when it's complete, why didn't you mix it that way in the first place?

And as far as "not needing extreme detail," that's almost impossible - It's almost ALL about extreme detail.

Massive Master said:
If you *must* master your own material, I agree on taking a break from it. But I'd measure it in weeks and months instead of hours.
You know I defend vigorously the role of Mastering Engineers in the whole process and have great respect for what you guys do. And I will be the first one to send stuff I mix out to be mastered when the job calls for it (and when the client does not already have their own mastering room picked out). But the reality is that it often does not for some very pragmatic reasons.

Much of the stuff that UPS Guy brings to me as "The Other Kind Of ME" ("Mixing" begins with "M" too :)) is of a quality or purpose where professional mastering would be like Blue Coraling a tow truck, and comes from artists who are often stretching their budget to the point of rolling the dice just to get their stuff mixed right. In cases like that, the word *must* deserves to be asterisk-encased; sending their stuff to a mastering room is just not even on their radar, and rightly so. Additionally, the concept of waiting weeks between mixing and mastering is usually a luxury not in the cards either; I'm lucky if I get to let it simmer overnight. Though I usually will find a way for that to happen ;), if I am working on a CD-length project with, say, a two week deadine, pausing overnight for every song is just not always an option, let alone a few days or a few weeks.

Now, of course, someone who is engineering their own music may have the kind of flexibility you're referring to, but for those of us who are engineers-for-hire, it's a different story.

Massive Master said:
One of the major problems with mastering one's own mixes is the lack of objectivity - It's impossible to approach a mix that you're familiar with in that manner. It comes down to the essence of the process - Listening with open ears and an open mind. I sound like a broken record with this, but you need to listen, "visualize" what the mix *should* sound like when finished, set up a chain to make it happen and tweak it.

The problem of course, is if you're visualizing what it should sound like when it's complete, why didn't you mix it that way in the first place?
Well, first of all, you of all folks here should know that it is only when the planets and lunar tides align just so - once every 123.3 years or so - that even the best of tracking and mixing will result in an initial mixdown that needs no mastering whatsoever. That simply does not happen any more than perfect tracking results in a package that needs no mixing. Even the best tracking requires something in the mix, and even the best mixing requires something in the master.

I agree with you on the lack of objectivity thing, which is why when I am required to do the pooor man's version of mastering for a client, I try to bring in other ears that I trust to keep me real on the master and make sure I'm not "too close to the mix to see the master." On the other side of the coin, take the tracker and the mixer away from the master altogether and the chain of "visualization" is broken. The objectivity of a 3rd-party MasteringGuy is extremely important, but it must be tempered by the vision of the engineers that came before him as well (I'm ignoring the role of a possible seperate producer here, just to keep the math sinple. ;) )

Massive Master said:
And as far as "not needing extreme detail," that's almost impossible - It's almost ALL about extreme detail.
I think he was referring to a description of the overall mastering process and not about the level of detail that the mastering process itself deals with.

Again, I don't really disagree with the content of what you said, but I think the perspective if "master your own stuff if you absolutely must" delivered as if it sounds like "amputate your own arm if you absolutely must" is a bit skewed. From the beginning of the chain for the average reader of this forum (this is not ProStudios.com or NothingBelow96.net :) ), having their stuff pro mastered is something to be aspired to but not something that can be taken for granted.

G.

nascentjunkie said:
I want to know things about levels, obviously, and coloration(bass, mid, treb...) and such like that. Essentially, what happens from the mix to the master, that gives it that master...
I didn't pick up what your purpose is - in other words if you're trying to compete on the commercial radio markets with stuff mastered by the "gods" then you wouldn't want to do this...however if you're a DIY guy like me then...

...after spending much time, experimentation, reading, yacking on forums, spending more time I have a pretty good overall process now for rebalancing full mixes that need it:
I clean up any hum, ensure a good sounding and looking bass-mid-treble eq and dynamics balance, make sure the stereo field and mono compatability are where it needs to be - if possible, check the depth and ambience and consider adding a touch of early reflection/reverb if necessary, I use a mastering limiter to fine tune overall dynamic range and loudness per "K-scale" standard, render the master, cut a redbook CD or DVD. Then I do the same thing to all the rest of the tunes and make sure they are the same loudess (not by auto normalizing but by making the same overall adjustment manually with a gain fader while listening and watching my gain metering). Walk out to the truck - drive to the store to get a 6-pack to celebrate, if I make it to the end of the street while listening to one of the songs then I'm home free - otherwise I have to turn around and do it again. I don't turn around so much these days. :D

To get that seemingly simple process cooking I have forensically disassembled countless commercial recordings that I respect and want to emulate using high-pass/lo-pass/band pass eqs, spectrum analyzers, rms meters, accurate monitoring systems (as much as I could afford that is), tweaked room acoustics, did I mention spent a hell of a lot of time learning & tweaking? I could tell you the tools I use but it takes time to figure out which ones you like - can hear - and work for you.

Also everyones hearing is a little different - thought I'd throw that wrench in too (check out different HRTFs and you'll see what I mean), but for the most part that's a small red herring - we can all balance stuff the other big-ear flat forehead guy can appreciate.

Depending on the time frame of the project is another reason to take it to a pro - or very experienced person who knows how to rebalance stuff. No matter who does it - if when listening to the final product your mind wanders off of the performance to ANY aspect of balance then you aren't done yet.

2cents

Back