Mastering: The Lie

deejaytrixx

By reading this forum I think a lot of ppl who have never dealt in the commercial music industry will begin to think that mastering is some crock or fluke of nature only obtainable by the engineering Gods in the 1million dollar studio heaven. It's just not true.

And I also hear a lot of ppl mastering ONE song. Not that its impossible, but does it really make sense? Why master ONE song. Mastering is a process that is supposed to be applied over a BODY of work (at least that is how I was taught). I mean, what else could you possibly be mastering against if not an entire body of work. If not, then a good mix is probably all you really need, no? (Just being a jerk to inspire some of the "pro's" around here to jump in)

A lot of guys on this site say it...You may not even NEED a mastering engineer. This is a specialized field usually used by major labels or indies with tons of releases who just don't have the time to master themselves..So it becomes a cookie cutter production line way of getting albums done. Select producer and songwriter - pre production - tracking - mixing - mastering..all done at different locations by different ppl. But if you are good enough to mix your stuff, you are good enough to apply some enhancements to ur song after a great mix is achieved!

If you look on the net, the magic of mastering seems hard to find..That is because most engineers are just unwilling to unleash the secrets of how they obtain their mix..For a number of reasons...1) Helps keep them sounding "unique" if there was ever such a thing 2) some don't even know how they do it...REason being..every song calls for soemthing else..Sure there are probably some loose guidelines they follow..but anyone wit any length of time behind the boards knows...the critical ear, identifyin the issue, and knowing how to solve it is the real science behind mixing and mastering..

So that everyone is clear, here are the most common things done in mastering. In almost every mastering session, the following actions are performed:

* Optimizing average and peak volume levels for proper relative loudness
* Signal processing - compression & EQ
* Arranging tracks in final sequence
* Timing of the space between tracks
* Establish a sonic "field" for all tracks
* Place track markers at head of all tracks
* Remove unwanted noise like clicks, pops, hiss
* Clean-up start and ending of each track (including fades)
* Insert Master Track Log – the PQ codes required for replication

The true advantage of getting a good mastering engineer IS greatly outweighed by that of doing it yourself. To get a fresh set of ears on a project is an invaluable way to get your recording from how its sounding in ur head, to how the world will actually accept it. What I mean by this is...these guys have ears that have been trained for mastering. They know their gear, they know how the mix will translate, and they know all the red book, PQ coding mysteries that the common man just doesn't have to deal with.

That being said and done..Mastering doesn't fix a bad mix. It just makes a bad mix sound better..and an excellent mix sound deity like. So..if you are indeed doing that home demo...and you are on a budget...mastering might not be what you need..what you need is to determine what bracket you are trying to compete in and how you will afford it. If you are doing a demo, it doesn't have to sound like the best recording on the charts..because its a flippin DEMO!!!!! its to attract attention of a label that will pay you to commercially record!

But I do suggest taking a turn at mastering by investigating the processes above. At the very least you will learn something by making your mix better of worst

Ive hear masters done on the best monitors and gear, and the worst..the only determining factor in the quality was the person behind the board. Experience in this field is everything. Critical listening is the most expensive gear you have..Everything everyone else says is pure shit..take it or leave it, but that is the "secret" behind mastering from an impartial point of view

Do get me started on the stuff I have heard to go the "big boys" in mastering that came back with bad artifacts. It is like they don't give a shit about the CD because it isn't a big named band, and so they just do a quickie once over to it, yet charge premium fee's! It is deplorable! :mad:

Exactly it!!!!!! They know these poor guys don't know any better and are probably too scared to challenge the all mighty "guru" of mastering. I don't consider myself a mastering engineer either, because I make my living composing, producing and mixing..but I think I will stick to doing my own masters for myself and the clients who didn't get that 300K advance from the label. I can distort my own tracks by overcompressing or using L1 or L2 from protools.

Respect to all the real engineers out there and on this site..I hope at the very least, someone's questions about mastering got a little portion of a tiny bit clearer

If you look on the net, the magic of mastering seems hard to find..That is because most engineers are just unwilling to unleash the secrets of how they obtain their mix..
I don't know where people get this "we keep secrets" stuff from...

I don't know where people get this "we keep secrets" stuff from...

i dont think there ARE any secrets.

Its all about talent and experience. Its almost like its another form of art! I think of it as like being a painter/artist.....

when you choose which brush to use, you know how to hold it, how much pressure to apply....and what the outcome of the stroke will be.

You know that if you mix just the right amount of yellow, with a small amount of blue......you will get some form of green.........but only you know what are the right amounts to achieve those special "other green colors".

just by looking at someone else's realism painting.....you know right away what it still needs to make it truly "real looking".

....there is no special secrets. Its all talent, experience and knowing how to use YOUR TOOLS. Well said MASSIVE.......well said....

I agree, but unfortunately, there appears to be a mindset nowadays where hard worik and experience are discounted as the means to the desired end, and there are people who seem to feel that this can and should be provided to them in quick and soundbyte/reader's digest form. If this cannot be provided, then they maintain that secrets are being witheld from them.

The craft part of the arts is quickly becoming deprecated. Few people seem to be willing to put in the time and effort.

The way it works is this:

Someone has a bad experience with someone of whom they expected more. They post this experience and detail their dissatisfaction, and are echoed by comments from others who have experienced similar, and so we get a great flaming thread happening, which makes for fascinating reading.

Some typical targets in this forum are drummers who can't drum to a click, bands that are ill-prepared for studion work, live sound engineers who don't know thier job, and here, expensive mastering engineers who wreck what they are given.

These all exist, just as there are shonky mechanics, crooked lawyers and dodgy builders. But it is too easy to generalise, and we should remember that most people are in a chosen profession because they have an aptitude for it and a professional interest in doing well by their clients. They are not custodians of arcane lore that lesser mortals must not possess, they simply have the training and experience that enables them to do what they do well.

If your are mastering an album then yes, the mastering should be done in the context of the entire work. But artists release singles too, so in those cases it makes sense to master a song individually.

As far as the secrets thing, there are some mastering engineers that are very generous with their knowledge. Like take Bob Katz for example. His book is superb and I don't think he held anything back at all.

I already told you that had nothing to do with the thread!!! And how many times can I apologize? :rolleyes:

Um....Who are you again????:eek:

Oh yeah, I remember now. No, I'm talking about something else, not the night we spent together.

D'OH!!!!!

:D

I think this thread was born to be jacked.

:D

I feel like this thread is the correct place to show off my Halloween costume. I'm on the left. My infamous bass player is on the right, with his active bass plugged into the passive input on his amp, because he is dumb.

l_3a05a83275fbe19e1d8c40c7a3166dcc.jpg

And yes, the tube connects the bubble on my head to my ass. Playing guitar that night was a superhuman feat. I couldn't see shit, plus, I was farting a lot.

What I still don't understand though......how can you master a whole set of songs together? How do you know that each song needs the same kind of compression and EQ....mine always need different treatments. But maybe this would be too deep to answer here :o

Back