Mastering Techniques. ..help..

Myth5331

I was looking to find some better ways to master my music. I record mostly Hip Hop, and I use both samples and live instruments. Does it make a difference If I record in 24 bit even though I have to dither it down to 16bit anyway? Also should I add anything to my master fader for mastering?
I've heard people bounce the session in 24 bit and then add the mastering plugs to the complete stereo track, is this common? Any help would be Great!
Thanks In advance!

I think you should start reading up on digital recording basics before you start worrying about mastering techniques.
Does it make a difference If I record in 24 bit even though I have to dither it down to 16bit anyway?
Yes.

And reading back, are you talking about mixing or mastering anyway...?

And reading back, are you talking about mixing or mastering anyway...?

I am talking more about mastering. I guess what I am asking is, is it better to add your mastering plugs to the master fader or is it better to bounce it to a stereo track and add them to the stereo track (or does it matter)??

Thanks..

Always treat mixing and mastering as distinctly separate processes. You need to end the mixing stage with a WAV file (24-bit if that's what you were working in). You then take that WAV file and master it.

It's almost always a mistake to combine the two because if your skills improve or if you want to get a pro to do the mastering, you would have to go back and remix the whole song without the mastering effects that you'd done. Having a nice safe WAV file of the mix means you would only have to go back and remix if the mix itself was screwed-up.

Always treat mixing and mastering as distinctly separate processes. You need to end the mixing stage with a WAV file (24-bit if that's what you were working in). You then take that WAV file and master it.

It's almost always a mistake to combine the two because if your skills improve or if you want to get a pro to do the mastering, you would have to go back and remix the whole song without the mastering effects that you'd done. Having a nice safe WAV file of the mix means you would only have to go back and remix if the mix itself was screwed-up.
+1 on this. I don't have much to add other than to use this opportunity to get people to read his post a second time :D.

G.

Back