Mastering? Levels problem

punkorama

Hey guys, I know it's not about the "loudness" but I'm getting frustrated, heres why. Im pretty decent with getting quality mixes done, but when I wanna raise the master volume a little bit to a decent loudness, im stuck getting distortion and clipping. Right now im using T-racks 24 to try to raise the volume. On the meter at "-1" which is the limit before it starts clipping on me, its hardly a difference from my orginal, non mastered mix.(btw i don't track to hot) I understand you have to compress the mix and limit dynamics for loudness but i don't understand how pro mixes can be so loud.
Mike

I notice your name is punkorama. If you're doing punk, just EQ to your approval and then limit at at like -.3 dB. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying that, but it's fine for punk.

punkorama said:
Hey guys, I know it's not about the "loudness" but I'm getting frustrated, heres why. Im pretty decent with getting quality mixes done, but when I wanna raise the master volume a little bit to a decent loudness, im stuck getting distortion and clipping. Right now im using T-racks 24 to try to raise the volume. On the meter at "-1" which is the limit before it starts clipping on me, its hardly a difference from my orginal, non mastered mix.(btw i don't track to hot) I understand you have to compress the mix and limit dynamics for loudness but i don't understand how pro mixes can be so loud.
Mike

hi...
can u get hold of a software 'hard-limiter'.
A Waves Ultra Maximiser, etc....or something.
I've used Cool Edit's hard limiting for years now, and the difference it makes in the songs I produce still amazes me!! All around, volume goes up (not gunna get into volume wars here) and I get a more uniform powerful mix, which suits my hard rock genre.
Anyways, I'm off to find out what a T-Racks 24 is!! :confused:
Oh yeah, after I go to see that Borat movie everyone appears to be raving about. :D

Last edited:
Back