Mastering in Cubase

Fade

Sorry for such a basic question, but I am somewhat of a troll when it comes to anything beyond basic recording with Cubase. I really only use it to do rough demos of new songs, so I have never been that concerned with getting high quality results, but I am getting really sick of my demos coming out at half the volume of everything else on my ipod. So I guess I'm not really interested in a full mastering method, just something to get the level of a mix higher when it is exported without having big clipping issues. Does anyone have any tricks and techniques to share? Cheers.

Use a limiter, I think there is one included with Cubase (I never use it). Place it as an insert in the master bus/stereo out channel. There are only a few knobs for a limiter, but if you turn the threshold down, you should hear the volume rise. For a basic setting, listen to your song where it peaks (gets loudest) and adjust your threshold to where the light blinks or comes on every so often. Leave the release at 'auto'.

That is totally basic, but if you want a better free version of a master limiter, go to http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/ and download their free plugins.

Last edited:
Back