Mastering in Cubase/Nuendo

tamky

Does anybody do Mastering in Cubase or Nuendo? Looks like all the tools are there (except for CD burning).

Well, I wouldn't call what I do "mastering," as I haven't mastered anything when it comes to recording, but yeah, I'll import a stereo mixdown and tweak it in Cubase.

i kinda 'master' all of my recordings in cubase.. tweak them out on the master channel, but sometimes i do go to wavelab with the stereo file

I do. I will mix down my project to a stereo wav file, then I will open a new project called "(whatever the name of the song is) master". I use a waves mastering suite (expensive, but nice) and follow a few guidelines I've picked up over the years.

I'm sure what I do woudn't be considered "mastering" by people who really know what they are doing, but to my ears it sounds way more "radio-ready" than the original mixdown.

Here is a little mastering tutorial that uses some of the waves plugs that I've got. I've had some good results using these guidelines in cubase.

BJW said:
I do. I will mix down my project to a stereo wav file, then I will open a new project called "(whatever the name of the song is) master". I use a waves mastering suite (expensive, but nice) and follow a few guidelines I've picked up over the years.

I'm sure what I do woudn't be considered "mastering" by people who really know what they are doing, but to my ears it sounds way more "radio-ready" than the original mixdown.

Here is a little mastering tutorial that uses some of the waves plugs that I've got. I've had some good results using these guidelines in cubase.

Brian - nice article. Thanks for the link. :)

BJW, just to make sure

Just to make sure BJW

why do you make a wave file to import it back and then master it

you know that in cubase you can go on your master out channel, theres a arrow poiting down at the bottom of the track, over the fader, just under de eq, when you click on this, a menu will appear letting you select what you want to be displayed in your mixer on the top part for this track, just select insert, and then go get your Mastering plugin as an insert to your master out, this will master everything, just before it is sent out, meaning your wavefile will already be mastered, no need to reimport it.

if you are doing it for another reason, plz explain yourself, id like to know why.

And to answer the question, yes i do my masterizing in cubase with waves diamond tools plugins

Farview said:
masterizing ???!!!
I nominate it as the best new word of the year! :D

Yes, I too do my "mastering" in Cubase, mostly some slight EQ using the UAD-1 Pultec plugin, a bit of compression and limiting, depending on what the tune needs. I also find this to be a good way to find out some problem areas in the mix, so I can go back and fix them.

Back