Mastering Deck: 30 ips

mlove

Hi all,
I am in the market for a mastering deck for my first analog recording purchase (presently recording with a yamaha aw1600). I at least want something 15 ips but would prefer 30 ips. I have done some looking but most deck i have researched are 7.5 to 15 ips. Any suggestions? Budget wise I am around the $300 range.

Hi. Personally I'd stick with 15ips unless you have a very good reason. Most albums were recorded, mixed and duplicated on 1/4" 15ips tape until the mid 90s.

There are a number of drawbacks to 30ips, especially if you're on a budget of $300. At only 16 minutes per reel, you'd need four tapes just to mix an album and that is going to cost a little less than your whole budget, just in tape.
Also, 30ips tends to destroy the bass frequencies (anything below about 100Hz will tend to drop away fairly quickly) and it will wear the machine down a lot faster into the bargain.

30ips machines aren't that common, it will limit your choices, mostly to the really big, really heavy decks. I am not aware of any small machines which could do this without having been modded outside of design spec.

Larger stuff like the Studer A807/A810 or Otari MTR-1x would typically be available in two versions, a high speed one (7.5/15/30) and a much more common low-speed version (3.7/7.5/15).

If you're happy with 15ips, the Tascam 32 is a popular machine here, and its bigger brother the BR-20 is also nice. I wish I'd bought one in 2003, but alas, the cost...
Other workhorse machines include the Otari 5050, the Revox B77HS, PR99 and of course the Studer A807, A810 and high-end Otari machines mentioned before.

Another popular deck here is the Tascam 22, which is the 32's smaller brother. It can only take 7" spools however, so you would again need 4 tapes for an album, but it would be four much cheaper tapes ;-)

Agree with what has been said. 30ips decks are hard to come by as it is and with a budget of $300 you may have to wait a while before anything pops up and at that budget, it will probably not be working reliably.

never really thought of the extra tape required for 30 ips. I think you guys are right - I'll focus on 15 ips. Are there any sites (besides ebay) that frequently reel to reel's for sale?

People here seem to swear by CraigsList, never really used it myself. Aside from that and ebay, there tend to be used gear brokers, but they will be considerably more expensive.

is 275 a fair price for a tascam 32 with anew pinch roller , new belts, new roller guide caps, new tension arm adjusters, new vu meter lamps. and calibrated for RMG 911,Ampex 456 Quantegy 456?

Roy Halee used 30 ips. for recording Simon & Garfunkel - I think their records had enough bass and generally a great sound.
But then again, he had CBS paying for his tapes - I wouldn't be able to run 30 ips. even though I'd love to try it to hear what difference it makes.

Yes, at $300 for a machine that will 30ips you will be looking for a pro deck (MCI, Otari, Studer--but probably one of the first two) that will need refurbishing...and the tape costs as stated...also you may need another calibration tape...best to stick to 15ips.

Our MCI 1" machine will do 30ips but I don't bother, our MRL is a 15ips NAB short form, and in any event the tape cost is already high enough at 15ips!

You know, come to think of it, I don't have a manual for my 32 either. LOL I've got a 38 so I guess for me it is similar enough that I didn't need a manual. I do have a question guys. Did Tascam make two variants of the 32: one that does 15/30 and another that is 7.5/15? Just curious.

Nope. 7.5/15ips only unless it was a custom affair that was professionally modded. Like I believe Tascam did produce customized machines for logging and such.

Last edited:
All the *2 machines like the 42 and 52? They're all 7.5/15ips from the factory...huh! So you've got your machine set to LOW and its running at 15ips and when you switch to HIGH you get 30ips? Never heard of it and yes it would be a modified machine, possibly at the factory.

never really thought of the extra tape required for 30 ips. I think you guys are right - I'll focus on 15 ips. Are there any sites (besides ebay) that frequently reel to reel's for sale?

Don't forget head wear is twice as much at 30 ips vs 15 ips, in case no one else mentioned it. I just got my Nagra relapped. Painful repair bill...

Don't forget head wear is twice as much at 30 ips vs 15 ips, in case no one else mentioned it. I just got my Nagra relapped. Painful repair bill...

Oh yeah, I use the 15 ips for sure. That and the tape goes by way too FA$T!!! Granted it's just 1/4", but still!

When I first tried to go from the 38 down to the 32, I noticed the tape was about par on both machines. I thought I had a wrong setting so I punched the speed button and tried again. It was hauling butt! Haven't touched the switch again after putting it back to LOW.

Oh yeah, I use the 15 ips for sure. That and the tape goes by way too FA$T!!! Granted it's just 1/4", but still!

When I first tried to go from the 38 down to the 32, I noticed the tape was about par on both machines. I thought I had a wrong setting so I punched the speed button and tried again. It was hauling butt! Haven't touched the switch again after putting it back to LOW.

Back