Mastering chain?

EveningSky

I wish to set up an external mastering chain going from a computer DAW to analogue external devices. I believe I have all of the hardware.
1. What hardware belongs in the chain? DA converter, preamp, equalizer, compressor, AD converter?
2. In what order, the external analogue devices?
3. What sort of analogue devices should I consider? I am sometimes striving to smooth a harsh digital sound.
I would appreciate any advice in this issue.
Yours,
ES

What do you need a preamp for? your signal is already at line level..is it just do add coloration? If indeed you do have the hardware, then what i would suggest is...

DA--->preamp--->comp--->EQ--->AD

Preamp?

Thank you MD for your response.
I perceive that my signal often weakens by passing it through several analogue processing stages. I perceive that for whatever reason, my signal is often somewhat weak by the time I am ready to master. I have read that simply passing a signal through a good preamp at unit gain may add some good quality to a digital signal.
Finally, I do not know; that is what I am asking.
Yours,
ES

EveningSky said:
Thank you MD for your response.
I perceive that my signal often weakens by passing it through several analogue processing stages. I perceive that for whatever reason, my signal is often somewhat weak by the time I am ready to master. I have read that simply passing a signal through a good preamp at unit gain may add some good quality to a digital signal.
Finally, I do not know; that is what I am asking.
Yours,
ES

have you considered impedance? how are you outputting to your signal path?

as for the Mastering Audio book, it's frickin' amazing. I strongly suggest getting it.

In most cases I would put the EQ before the comp, and yes you shouldn't require a preamp. A preamp (mostly tube) is used to add color, not to makeup for an issue in your chain. Verify levels by running reference tones with all of the units set at unity gain through the chain to see where the issue is. If what goes in doesn't come out essentially the same, then I wouldn't use those pieces for mastering.

Throw a patchbay in there so you can reposition whatever you have (EQs, comps, etc.) in whatever order you like. Mastering houses typically have sometimes very highly customized consoles that do this, but if you don't mind patching cables, you can accomplish the same thing.

As for level, you should be able to set final level with the makeup gain on your compressor, if that is last in your chain. EQs often have a master level control too.

Thank you again

Thank you again for your suggestions.
I will try the things you have suggested.
Yes, a patchbay would help me, but perhaps lose some signal?
Yes, impedance matching is somewhat of a mystery to me. I am sending my final signal through a Lavry AD converter. I purchased a Radial box just in case I need to match impedances.
I need to really get myself set up and try our your suggestions.
Yours, ES

EveningSky said:
Thank you again for your suggestions.
I will try the things you have suggested.
Yes, a patchbay would help me, but perhaps lose some signal?
Yes, impedance matching is somewhat of a mystery to me. I am sending my final signal through a Lavry AD converter. I purchased a Radial box just in case I need to match impedances.
I need to really get myself set up and try our your suggestions.
Yours, ES

What are you running your signal through to get that much loss?

A patchbay won't effect a properly set up system much.

Back