mastering at home

Apple

I guess no go on the use of exciters. What are the alternatives to mastering professionallly? Any products designed for home mastering that do a good job? The reviews I've read about the Alesis Masterlink seem to be mixed, but overall, it's just a good CD duplicator. I don't use a PC in my studio, but I guess I'm going to have to. I do most, and usually all, of the parts on my recordings and I'm finding that I've got no subjectivity at the end of the project. I can't hear well enough to mix. Even after putting it away for a week or so.

Apple said:
I do most, and usually all, of the parts on my recordings and I'm finding that I've got no subjectivity at the end of the project. I can't hear well enough to mix. Even after putting it away for a week or so.
Then you CANNOT master it yourself........

If you can't hear well enough to mix, you DEFINITELY can't hear enough to master!

Last edited:
oh well then. There you have it. some one pointed out the ovbious answer to my stupid question. Thanks dude! I should have spent more time rephrasing my question. To get my point across, without using a lot of asides, I exaggerated. I can be subjective at the end of a project, just not as much as I would like. Therefore I can hear, which is another way of expressing subjectivity, though not as well as I would like. How's that? Did you have any information about my question? I'm interested in recording and this site seemed a nice place to ask a question. So, if you have any relavent information, I would appreciate it. If you happen to be the Grand Boobah of recording, sorry for my occasional error.

If you're just looking for a little polishing of your sound, you might try to use some 'autofilter'. Scan the spectral image of a song that you like (of a portion that shall sound similar to a portion of your sound...) and try to apply that to your sound. You'll have to tweak with the portion, the song and the mix ration of your EQ and that of the song, but often it gives a 'nicer' feeling to your song. I wouldn't call it mastering, though, its only polishing...

The advantage of this approach is that you have a fixed 'objective' sound that you approach your song to. You can only say that is NOT the sound or that's it...

But it's definitely only recommended if you do it for your fun (like I do)...

aXel

Here.... read THIS....

But it STILL won't help you if your room and signal chain isn't up to the task of letting you hear what you need to hear.....

Apple said:
I can be subjective at the end of a project, just not as much as I would like. Therefore I can hear, which is another way of expressing subjectivity, though not as well as I would like. How's that?

maybe you should aim for objectivity once in a while. anyone can be subjective...

autofilter, aXel? i guess the idea there is you then you don't need to listen at all! hmmm... i guess with SOME people that might be an advantage...

agreed, jagular.

if you take a shit, and it hits the ground just right, it might work as art, but that doesn't mean you know what art is. same goes for mastering.

Back