Mastered version of a band I recorded:

metalhead28

Hates Raymond
What's up folks. I don't make it into the clinic much these days, but I had something I wanted to share.

I posted some music from a band that I recorded several months ago, just my rough mixes, and these guys just got around to getting it professionally mastered. They went to a guy in California who is a veteran with extreme metal and I think the end result is pretty damn awesome. It makes me feel like I actually did a good job recording and mixing these dudes.

What do you guys think?

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=8849

Man, it's not bad, but I'm not getting much low end out of this mix. The bass guitar almost seems like it's not there. All the guitars sound fine, but it's like it's all mids and highs across the whole mix. :confused:

I seriously think you did a good job...a lot of riffs reminded me of old school Metallica...and some hardcore bands I grew up listening to...

Although I'm not a fan of that type of that style of singing...I dig where everything falls in the mix and the guitar lines are extremely busy and interesting.

Man, it's not bad, but I'm not getting much low end out of this mix. The bass guitar almost seems like it's not there. All the guitars sound fine, but it's like it's all mids and highs across the whole mix. :confused:

I don't know, you might be right. It's a shitload brighter than the mix that I gave them. I was a/b'ing it against my mix and it's so much louder and brighter that maybe I'm just falling for the louder is better thing. It definitely sounds better, and more like what the band will want I imagine, but.....

After a/b'ing it against some other music that I've got here (I'm listening on a PC with a nice speaker package) it does seem pretty light in the low end.

Oh well, too late for that! :p
That dude is getting paid for mastering twice what I got paid for recording and mixing it...lol...so I hope they trust him! :D

What's up folks. I don't make it into the clinic much these days, but I had something I wanted to share.

I posted some music from a band that I recorded several months ago, just my rough mixes, and these guys just got around to getting it professionally mastered. They went to a guy in California who is a veteran with extreme metal and I think the end result is pretty damn awesome. It makes me feel like I actually did a good job recording and mixing these dudes.

What do you guys think?

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=8849

Definitely could use a bit more lows...the sounds are good, but it is pretty bright. Find a way to bring out the deepness of the kick, and maybe a bit more lows to the bass.

I screwed with it a minute, and cut the mids a bit. Might be way too much, but you will get what I'm saying a bit....:D

Metalstuff

This is from your original mix.

Hmmm, that one is a little fuller in the bottom end, but not much. Sounds like the mastering guy just took yours, added more air to it, and jacked the volume up about 8000000 db's.

Definitely could use a bit more lows...the sounds are good, but it is pretty bright. Find a way to bring out the deepness of the kick, and maybe a bit more lows to the bass.

I screwed with it a minute, and cut the mids a bit. Might be way too much, but you will get what I'm saying a bit....:D

Metalstuff

This is from your original mix.

Yeah that one seems to have a lot more bottom-end. The guitars and cymbals are still pretty bright, but not so bad with some meat in the bottom helping it out.

Just my 2 cents.

It almost sounds like there's no bass at all. It's really typical of this kind of metal to have a kind of light bottom end because the kick is going so fast at certain places, but this is excessive.

Still sounds great though.

Even though the mastered version is excessive hot, it's still good compared to some commercial CDs. The bass is fine, imho. I think, mainly the snares lack the power of the unmastered version. (I listened to it at the same rms for A/B'ing)
Whoever insisted in making it that loud, point him to the video in my signature.

And your mix is just fine. I wouldn't change it.
The only thing I would have done at mastering is just normalize the thing. There really is no need to do anything else to it.

The Master lacks alot of low end.
Doesn't sound to me like a veteran of Mastering Metal mastered this mix.
Sounds like a good mix from you although It could have done with more in the bass guitar in the low end.

I re-mastered the mix.
Hope you like. ;)
I wasn't on my usual set up when mastering this so I could be quite off! :)

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=8894

Can you post the original mix that was sent to the mastering engineer atall?

Cheers,
Eck

The Master lacks alot of low end.
Doesn't sound to me like a veteran of Mastering Metal mastered this mix.
Sounds like a good mix from you although It could have done with more in the bass guitar in the low end.

I re-mastered the mix.
Hope you like. ;)
I wasn't on my usual set up when mastering this so I could be quite off! :)

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=8894

Can you post the original mix that was sent to the mastering engineer atall?

Cheers,
Eck

Hey Eck.
The second link I posted is what was sent to the mastering engineer.

The dude that is mastering it is definitely a veteran. I've heard some great sounding albums (all extreme metal) that he has worked on. The thing is, I know that the band likes the searing midrange and high end because they constantly brought that up during mixing. When I tried to get by with more bass or a fuller low end to the kick drum they objected. Also they wanted it to be LOUD LOUD LOUD. So ultimately, I think they'll be happy with this master. If I get the chance to give some input, I'll suggest a fuller low end.

Your master certainly has alot more low end. I miss a little bit of the midrange bite of the other master, but it sounds good.

besides the really noticable lack in low end (my bass is at 5 o' clock and it sounds like 12 o' clock) and a little bit of off beat drums (just one[?] snare hit.) it sounds good. Thats not your fault though. Im surprised the bass guitarist didn't say anything. was there a bass dude? If there was hes gone now. Im not to fond of this snare drum style not for this style of music but I think you did a great job of laying the tracks out. Everythings clear and in your face. Good job on your part.

Hey Eck.
The second link I posted is what was sent to the mastering engineer.

The dude that is mastering it is definitely a veteran. I've heard some great sounding albums (all extreme metal) that he has worked on. The thing is, I know that the band likes the searing midrange and high end because they constantly brought that up during mixing. When I tried to get by with more bass or a fuller low end to the kick drum they objected. Also they wanted it to be LOUD LOUD LOUD. So ultimately, I think they'll be happy with this master. If I get the chance to give some input, I'll suggest a fuller low end.

Your master certainly has alot more low end. I miss a little bit of the midrange bite of the other master, but it sounds good.

Strange that a heavy band doesn't like low end! Glad im not that bass player! :P

Eck

I'm not very familiar with this type of music so I'll just say what comes to mind....
1) The mix is pretty nice.
2) The bass is lacking but it suits the tune somehow - emphasis = guitars
3) the mastered version is the loudest mix I have ever heard :eek:
4) The playing is super tight.

:D:):D:)

Everything sounds pretty good except the bass. I can't even hear it.

Other than that it sounds totally pro!

Personally, I am gratified that the Cookie Monster has been able to pursue his musical abilities and with so many bands. He's definitely a workoholic..... :D

Seriously though...

Good recording and good mix. I'm not really into this kind of metal, but I know a good recording when I hear it. :cool:

Back