Master falls apart when compression applied

Recorder1

I've got this problem I can't figure out. I master my track, it is full, loud and sounds just fine. But than when I play it through hardware compressor (heavily compressed like radio stations might do), it all becomes blued with the top end smeared and hats/cymbals go totally out of control.
When I run professionally done track of a CD, this never happens. No matter what I do, I can't destroy it. It's like they lock the track in some way.
I've tried using hard limiter, etc as the last thing on my master but it just doesn't work, I just can't "lock" the sound.
Any ideas how to go about it? Thanks.

Can you post a before and after sound clip? Not sure that I would be the best to answer this, but hearing it would help.

Radio stations, the commercial ones anyway, use much fancier dynamics processing than a simple compressor. That may not represent what your master will have to endure.

Most likely the mixes that don't fall apart with more compression are compressed a lot already, with the compression applied at various stages.

Hearing it would help, downloading and analyzing would be even better.

Radio stations, the commercial ones anyway, use much fancier dynamics processing than a simple compressor. That may not represent what your master will have to endure.

Right.

I think limiting is more in line than compressing when it comes to broadcast radio...and yeah, all specialized equipment for that task.
I have a vintage AD&R hardware limiter that is meant for broadcast applications...much different than my other stuff.

The only reason I can think of as to why your mix falls apart when others don't would be that yours isn't well controlled dynamically.
If the cymbals smear under heavy compression, they are either too loud or have really loud transients.

I think quite a bit of the problem could be that a final master of a track (after limiter/maximiser/comressions) is being slammed through a compressor again.

What happens when you do that to commerical mixes that sound similar?

I had a not to long ago experience of hearing one of mine on Cap Public that really disappointed me. I was (still am) curious to 'sort it out but never pursued it. I don't consider the mixes anywhere near 'smashed either for what ever that might be worth. My main issue was the fairly stout (level wise) snare not making it through as some, many -but not all, 'pro blues tracks.

I could find a sample if it might fit with you're thread.

Back