MaryJaneCompressed

Wonka

I probably did everything wrong. But I did the best I could with what I have.

https://soundcloud.com/cadillacbob/maryjanecompressed

Comments welcomed

New to home recording.

Current work flow.

Tascam DP-008 - only records 2 tracks at a time. Only using the 2 omni directional condensor mics that come on the DP-008.

Input A & B almost set the same. Just a little differences in Pan off center.

Acoustical guitar and vocals.

Create master file in Tascam. Vol, pan, and reverb set once master is created.

Connect Tascam to computer via USB. Comes up as another drive.

Bring mastered file on Tascam drive into Reaper.

Applied some compression in Reaper. -20.0 / Ratio 3/ Auto-make-up checked.

I know this is recorded loud. Reason - You can turn sound down but you can't turn it up.

Hey Wonka,
I like this. It's pretty cool and you have a great voice.

There's a LOT of clipping though.
I don't mean distortion as an effect; It sounds like you have that going on too, but there's harsh digital clipping at the loudest points.

Listen to the word play at 24. Here that crackling?
It could be happening at any stage, I guess. You'd need to sus that out.

I know this is recorded loud. Reason - You can turn sound down but you can't turn it up.

:eek: Maybe it's happening at the input stage.

Without listening, I can tell the built-in mics are the problem. The "omni" is because the whole recorder case acts like a microphone.

Not really distorted but loud - turn down a little

The vocals are a bit overdone and I think the word used to describe the mix is too hot.

You can turn the volume down some when listening

This is a first take - first time I did the song. I was just playing around with it. I didn't hit good until the very last version of the verse.

1. The mics are indeed part of the problem but for what they are they are AMAZINGLY GOOD.
2. I recorded it hot or loud because there were a lot of mixes I have listen too that I thought should be louder and there was just no way to turn up the volume. Also some people had complained, at least with the Tascam, that when they saved to master and sent MP3 they lost a lot of volume.
3. I am 62 and although I have played guitar for scores of years, I have only started singing within the last year.

4. This is my first home recording. There is a lot, a lot, more to it than I thought.

No disrespect to MJB, but 'without listening' is the key part of his post.
What he says may well be true, but your recording is massively distorted. That's a much bigger problem than anything the mics are doing.

You've either
Overloaded the converters on the way in,
Pushed the mix levels too high,
or pushed the master level too high.

2. I recorded it hot or loud because there were a lot of mixes I have listen too that I thought should be louder and there was just no way to turn up the volume. Also some people had complained, at least with the Tascam, that when they saved to master and sent MP3 they lost a lot of volume.

That's pretty common, but I'd strongly recommend against it.
You can make things louder in the mix, but you can't undo distortion.
If anything, lean towards recording too quiet and deal with overall volume later.

Last edited:
This is a song about marijuana

I want to thank everyone for putting up with my first attempt at home recording. I agree with what everyone has said. I am going to try and remix. Confident I can bring it down.

There is a bit more going on here than just the mix.

This is a song about marijuana.

I want to encourage songs about marijuana with a positive spin.

Things are starting to tip. Just need a bit more of a push and we will be there. Legalization of marijuana was suppose to happen about 20 years ago. Yes we are slow.

Obiter dicturm - Mary Jane was done straight.

I agree with what's already been said.

The other thing I'd do is stay away from reverb for a while. It was way over done on this.

Back