Martins with the Fishman "Aura" system

Bassman Brad

Has anybody ever tried one of those Martins that have the Fishman "Aura" system installed? The technology sounds intriguing, but I haven't got a chance to hear one, yet. One of the guitar players in my band tried one out today at the Guitar Center in Indy (the DC-16 RGTE with the Aura preamp) and fell in love with it. He only heard it acoustically, though. Apparently, he didn't have a chance to plug it in. I told him what I knew about the Aura technology (it basically "models" the sound of the guitar being picked up by a microphone, using the signal from the piezo as the source signal), but I don't have any first hand knowledge about whether or not it actually works.

So, anybody have any experiences with the Aura system that they would like to share?

Thanks,
Brad

I like Fishman as a company. I like Martin as a company. They both treat me and my (and their) customers very well. I think they both make tremendous products.

The Aura, on the other hand, is a POS. We got one when they first came out, and we universally agreed that is sounded it's best in bypass.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Thanks for the feedback, Light.

Anybody else ever tried one of these guitars? Would you share your impressions, please?

Brad

checked one out in Guitar Center when they hit the market. seemed like you could get a little better sound than if you used a normal pickup. it was a nice idea... i think the pickup sounded ok but the guitar was kinda dull. i guess that some other makers are using them now also but i have not checked it out. if you can try one with your rig it might help you decide. i played one through a Bose unit. i chose an ES Taylor over the Martin when all was said and done though.

Bump

I'm going to bump this thread, to see if there are any other comments about this guitar and/or preamp system.

Thanks again, to all who have read and/or contributed to the thread.

Brad

Back