Marshall Valvestate 8080

Dj17

If you know this amp, what do you think about it? It's discontinued, so besides learning it was one of Marshall's best-sellers, it's kind of difficult to find a review.

I have NO experience with amps. All I ever owned is a Soundtech QM4 Audiochoice in which I could plug mics, guitars, basses. It's not specifically a guitar amp and it doesn't sound that good at all, especially not when recorded. I have a handful of Boss pedals which end up making the sound slightly *bearable*, but you know how it is. Not really good.

Would I at least have better chances to get a decent sound with the Marshall Valvestate 8080? There's a used one on sale. I didn't even ask for the price because I just looked at it for 2 seconds and wasn't even there to buy an amp, but being home now, I realize it might be a good idea to upgrade my "amp". I'm just curious about this one I guess, and I just don't trust anyone trying to sell me something.

How much should it cost, anyway? Preferably in Canadian money ;). Even better, what would be the lowest-yet-still-decent price I could try to get it for?

I probably didn't give enough info for you to give me the best answers, but ask away if you need to know anything. I feel kind of stupid saying this, but I love playing Radiohead and I think Tool's guitar sound kicks ass. Anything closer to it than it was before will make me happy. I probably won't even notice that it's not even close. Really.

Thanks for taking that post seriously.

Last edited:
I've been using one of these for years and I love it. I love the sound I get out of it.

You will totally be able to get a decent sound out of it. It seems pretty versatile. The scoop control is great. Unlike the new AVT valvestates, which just have a scoop switch, it has a scoop control which gives a lot more variety.

I've used it for everything from playing radiohead type stuff to nirvana to metallica to death metal.

I wish I could give you a decent review but I'm crap at that sort of thing. All I know is that I have never had a problem with this amp and never really felt any limtations. I think I've had it for about 10 years and its never crapped out on me, regardless of all the sh*t its been through.

As far as using it for recording goes, that is the main amp I use for recording. I always record direct with the line out, and have to do very little eqing to get a nice recorded sound. I have an AVT150h also, but find the 8080 much nicer for recording, despite the AVT's cabinet emulating line out. I don't have the option of miking stuff up in my flat.

All in all its a great amp. You should be able to get it for a good price second hand.

I have an 8280, the 2x12 combo version. It is not bad. But mine has pretty much pooped out. It used to be loud as heck. The sound was not too bad. Never did a real heavy sound extremely well, but it did take signal from pedals quite well. I got my money's worth out of her!
I also like it better than the later Valvestates I have heard.

i don't know if these are the same, but i have a marshall valvestate 100 (100w solidstate with a tube preamp or something). it sounds awful. i wouldn't recommend it to anybody. so hopefully these aren't related at all..

I think that was the second generation. Not the same. A friend has the 1x12 combo Valvestate 100 and it is not worthwhile. They tried to put too much crappy gain in it. And if you push in the Deep switch or whatever that mid-sucker was called......instant poo.

i owned an 8080 from 99 up until a few months ago and it was a great amp, but too much for my needs and sorta one dimensional (not that that's a bad thing, i just wanted different sounds in one amp). it's a great rock amp, and if i had invested in effects and such it probably could have been better. i have a vox ad30vt, so it combines the different sounds i like (including marshall). you can't go wrong with an 8080, good for jamming at home or live.

I also have the 2x12 combo version of this amp. I like it alot. I was thinking about getting one of the Mg series marshalls, and im very glad i found this amp instead. I bought it used and it still sounds amazing. It's very versatile as well. I personally like a crunchy warm tone, but i've recorded alot of bands that go for the really heavy distortion and it sounds great for that too. I also agree: It does sound much better than the newer valvestate models. I tried playing my friends valvestate stack and it just sounded weak. The 8080's won't sound as good as an all tube marshall, but for the price, i highly recommend it.

yeah, i must also add that the first generation of valvestate amps (the 8080 and the other varieties) are generally considered the best of the series. i guess they should have stuck with a good thing when they had it.

Thanks again for all the replies.

I went back to the store and they're selling it for 500$ canadian.

Something must be wrong there. How many versions is there? It's written Valvestate 8080 and on the right it's written 80V. Maybe I'm mistaken...

For the price the guy suggested some unknown brand I've never heard of (SGH).

There was a Marshall Valvestate 8080 on ebay a few days ago, for around 200$. I've never bought on ebay. Is it safe?

I had the combo version of the very first generation of the Valvestate.
It had good sound- pretty warm for solidstate and only one preamp tube. Unfortunately it took about 2 trips to the repair shop- 150 bucks each time, and I didn't have the patience for it so when it needed that third trip to the shop it ended up being traded in. It would just loose bottom end and half the gain and get worse and worse the more you played.
My opinion:
The first gen sounded great but quality was terrible.
The newest gen (not sure which one they're on now) sounds terrible. It might slightly resemble tubes when you crank it up but after a while you realize how bad it is. Theres a reason you can find tons of them on Ebay cheap.
The MG outperforms the new valvestate. I almost bought one once. They aren't as plentiful as valvestate but when you do see them they are reasonable.

Back