Marshall V69 Problems - anyone else

jeffoest

Hi all,

I bought my Marshall V69 in Sept 2003. After two usesi it started to develop a very noticible rumble. I was able to send it back to Marshall where they repaired it and sent it back to me. In the last year I haven't used it much (probably a total of 6-7 hours) but when I was recording today after about 10 minutes I started getting the same rumble.

I'm not really quite sure what to do but was wondering if anyone else had this experience with this particular mic.

Thanks!

I don't know what kind of warranty that mic carries, but I wouldn't hesitate to call them and explain that the mic has been problematic, that this is the second time it's in need of repair for the same malfunction. Even if it's out of warranty they might repair it at no charge, under these conditions.

My MXL V69 has done the same thing a couple of times. Both times, pulling the tube out of the socket and replacing the same tube in the socket fixed the rumble. Cleaning the tube contacts, I think is what fixes the problem. It could be a solder joint that is wiggled around when I remove the PCBs to get to the tube. Maybe, somebody with more experience can help us both out.

Rob

jeffoest said:
Hi all,

I bought my Marshall V69 in Sept 2003. After two usesi it started to develop a very noticible rumble. I was able to send it back to Marshall where they repaired it and sent it back to me. In the last year I haven't used it much (probably a total of 6-7 hours) but when I was recording today after about 10 minutes I started getting the same rumble.

I'm not really quite sure what to do but was wondering if anyone else had this experience with this particular mic.

Thanks!

I don't have the V69, but 2 of my 2003s did the same thing. I took them over to Marshall, which is about 15 minutes away and showed them to Scott (he's one of the main mic reps) and he gave me replacements. We both agreed the noise sounded like a bad capacitor. Marshall doesn't use the best elctronics. It very well could be the contacts on the tube socket though. Hey, it could be the tube itself. Is it the original?

Thanks for the responses.

I don't know if the tube is the original or not - Marshall fixed this once for me when I first got it. They may have replaced the tube - dunno - I never did find out exactly what they did to it.

Also - a stupid question - where it the tube - in the mic, right? (not in the power supply? or both - I'm such an idiot....).

Is this the Mogami version?

You're scaring me..... :eek:

I suppose the best wiring is only as good as it's worst connection....

tube is in the mic. If you open the mic to see the tube "be sure" to un-plug the mic from the mic power supply. Then just screw off the bottom.......again un-plug before taking a-part....High Voltage!

Rob

That thing would probably sound a whole lot better with a new tube anyway. They use the cheap Sovtek 12AX7, I think. It's not a very musical tube. You'd be better of with a Mullard, GE, RCA or even a Telefunken if you can afford/find one. A 12AT7 would probably flatten the sound out a little. Although I think the V69 is a hybrid and not a true tube mic. Anyone else hear that?

If you replace the tube and the rumble is still there, it's definately a capacitor. Let me guess, the rumbling only happens after the mic warms up, and then is not really a rumble, but a low pitched 'crackle/pop/rumble' sort of sound that gets louder the more the mic warms up. The crackles also become more frequent. Does this sound right?

PhilGood,

YES - you described the noise perfectly. Only occurs after warming up and it crackles and pops - almost sounds like you are ouside in a wind storm!

Update - I did call Marshall and they were very sympathetic to the fact that this is the second time I've had the same problem with the same mic without too much use in between. They are sending out UPS to pick mine up and will send me a different mic as a replacement (I would assume new, but you never know)... Anyways - I think that's a very fair result from Marshall and I do believe that is indicative of a company that does want happy customers...

Yup. That's a capacitor. I won't worry about the replacement too much. The last time I was at Marshall, Scott showed me a row of V69s. Said the policy now was to burn them in for at least 48 hours before they go out. Each one is tested individually.

I would contact Marshall and see what they suggest.

www.mxlmics.com

ask for Scott. If they can't help, you could take it to an electronics repair place and see what they can do. If you're good with a soldering iron, you could replace the caps if you know which ones. There should be a 1000pF where the capsule connects. That would be the first one to check. If not that, then there are output caps to check.

alright, I have been around here for a while now. I am wondering about mics. I had almost decided on this one for a low blues voice and will also sing some old folk songs...using it in tandem with the dmp3...I want the recordings to have quality sound but a sparse feel to them. Like older recordings of blues musicians is the best I can describe it, good ones though.

I will also be adding some banjo, slide, harmonica and maybe someday fiddle on some tracks....I want a warm sounding mic, even pushing flattering if ya know what I mean.....will the v67 suit my needs or should I look elsewhere....also I was wondering about recording techniques....as far as the basic tracks go I would want to record guitar and vocals at the same time because I can't really sing without a guitar yet at all. Should I record them both with one mice or use two different ones...what about bleeding through...what about a pair of marshal v67s? Last as far as adding stuff over the top after the initial guitar and vocals tracks are recorded should I do the same thing? one mic or two? pair or not? Oh ya...almost forgot when I want a bigger sound on stuff does it work to just copy the track and insert it over the original?? Does this make sense?
thanks
matt

thehook said:
alright, I have been around here for a while now. I am wondering about mics. I had almost decided on this one for a low blues voice and will also sing some old folk songs...using it in tandem with the dmp3...I want the recordings to have quality sound but a sparse feel to them. Like older recordings of blues musicians is the best I can describe it, good ones though.

I will also be adding some banjo, slide, harmonica and maybe someday fiddle on some tracks....I want a warm sounding mic, even pushing flattering if ya know what I mean.....will the v67 suit my needs or should I look elsewhere....also I was wondering about recording techniques....as far as the basic tracks go I would want to record guitar and vocals at the same time because I can't really sing without a guitar yet at all. Should I record them both with one mice or use two different ones...what about bleeding through...what about a pair of marshal v67s? Last as far as adding stuff over the top after the initial guitar and vocals tracks are recorded should I do the same thing? one mic or two? pair or not? Oh ya...almost forgot when I want a bigger sound on stuff does it work to just copy the track and insert it over the original?? Does this make sense?
thanks
matt

I think you will get more responses if you start your own thread with these questions.

:confused:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=155145

We've been helping you with this for MANY months now. Have you not been reading the replies that everyone has taken the time to write? :confused:

I wrote a nice reply to you back in May, and I never heard back from you, so why should I bother helping anymore?

thehook said:

thanks
matt

Reactions: XLR
My V69ME does the noise, too.

I have traced the cause to the connection between the seven pin cable and the power supply. If I wiggle that connection the noise goes away.

Back