Marshall MXL2003

I'll give you one since I currently own it.

I would say that it is a very good beginners mic, very nuetral but because of this, it lacks a certain sparkle. There doesn't seem to be any boost in the freq. that I can hear which could or couldn't be what you are looking for. I've used them for singing vocals, guitars (all types) and drum overheads. Didn't care for them too much on overheads but everything else did really well. I think it would be a great mic to have around as backup or all purpose LDC.

comparing it to the mxl 2001, the 2003 beats it out. there is a definent difference in the sound quality in general.

Overall - 7/10

Some shameless promotion while talking about this mic, I have a MXL 2003 for sale for $100 bucks in perfect condition with shockmount, pouch and original box.

Angusdevil said:
very nuetral but because of this, it lacks a certain sparkle. There doesn't seem to be any boost in the freq. that I can hear

Damn, I don't know what mic you're listening to, but from my experience, the 2003 / V93 is one of the brighter mics I've ever used.

Well, hmmmm.... I know the one that I have used definently is not bright so maybe its just a shitty mic. I guess that inconsistancy in itself is enough to not consider the MXL line of mics as a reliable choice

chessrock said:
Damn, I don't know what mic you're listening to, but from my experience, the 2003 / V93 is one of the brighter mics I've ever used.
I concur here, I have a pair of V93s and would definitly put them on the bright side. I think that it is in large part the thinner diaphram on them. They are also very detailed, which can be both good but also very unforgiving. I have done some pretty nice choral recording with them in an XY pair and I chose them for my voice specifically because my voice is natrually deep (it souncs like I am using a lot of proximity effect even when I am not, and when I am using proximity effect...) so I thought a bright mic so that not every voice I did would sound like Darth Vader.

Back