• Rode NT3's

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • AT 4041's

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • AKG c1000's

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

delphonic

Hello...I've seen a lot of comparisons for small diaphram condensor mic's around here...enough to change my mind from the AKG c1000s to the MXL 603s.

I'll be using these mainly for drum overhead (rock-noise?)

Sooo...now I'm looking at the 603's for about $160 a pair...or I'm also considering the NT3's (@ $280 a pair) or the AT4041 (@ $399 a pair).

Would the NT3's or the AT4041's be worth the price increase? (and why?)...anybody have experience w/ these?

I'm about ready to buy and I can't make a decision! aaaarggg!

Thanks guys & gals

My ranking of the of these mics. This is only my preference. I don't claim to be a mic expert:

1. AT 4041 (I haven't heard it, but I've heard good things about it)
2. Marshall MXL 603s (Have and like)
3. Rode NT-3 (Heard and like)
4. AKG C1000 (Heard and don't like)

At $79 each, I feel the 603s is a great value.

You also might want to consider the Oktava MC012.

NT3. At least this week. Just did a location recording in a big, wonderful room that had a warm lush decay. Selected the NT3 for overheads over the 4041 'cause the room was just a bit too lively. The NT3 is a hypercardioid and focused the kit sound much better than the 4041 cardioid. And there's something a little wierd about the upper mid-range on the 4041...It's a great mic, but there's something about it that to me, is unmusical, like it's losing something. Subtle effect, but disturbing. Not that the NT3 is uncolored, but I find it more flattering, it may add a little, but the 4041 seems to subtract. At least this week.

As for the 603's, they're a wide-cardiod so will pickup more room sound. This could be good or bad. But Harvey recommends them as overheads, so buy the 603's. However, since everybody has an opinion and the only one that counts is yours, if possible try them all in your room with your gear, with your ears.

And what about the new Rode NT4 stereo mic or the NT5 matched pairs?

Crikey! This is my second Rode endorsement today! This must stop! But the NT5's are arriving this month so I may yet become Rode's earbashin' hoon.
Hooroo,
Jim

Last edited:
the nt3 is probably better than the others if you want to use for cymbals only, as it's hypercardioid. with the 603, you can more room sound, and a similar sound as you'd get from a large diaphragm mic in that it does capture the whole kit well. the c1000, in my opinion, is just not worth considering, except if you want it just for a different flavor.
i haven't heard the audio technica mic.
reinforcing my mxl 603 endorsement, i heard from a couple of very well informed sources that it sounds a lot like the oktava mc012, which is like 3-4 times more expensive.
you could also consider the behringer ecm8000, which is just to cheap ($36) not to be in every home-reccer's mic locker.

to be fair, one advantage the c1000 has is it doesn't need phantom power (or does it?). not enough of an edge though.:)

well, I got antsy and bought a pair of MXL 603s'. The main reason I got them is because Shreve Audio has them for $49 + shipping (both were under $110 w/ shipping...thanks to who ever posted that site's name (in another thread)...it saved me about $60). It seems these are highly recommended for the price range, and I also haven't read a post on any site from someone who hates them. I've also heard a few things recorded with the 603s and have been pleased with what I heard...and being somewhat of a newbie...I probably wouldn't hear a huge difference anyway.
And for the price is doesn't hurt to have them around.

I may pick up a pair of NT3's at one of the chain stores around here (there's a Mars & Guitar Center/Musician's Friend), and if I don't like 'em better I'll take em back (i love 30 day return policies...the only thing good about these places).
If I get ambitious I'll record a comparison and post it on here...but it'll be a few weeks.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I do have a follow up question about small diaphram condenser mics...shoud I worry about a shock mount when I'm recording overheads?

I assumed this was fairly important for large diaphram.

What huge benefit does a shock mount provide...besides dampening floor vibration?

thanks again

In a lot of cases, you can get away without using the shock. It's just an added precaution against unwanted floor vibrations and the like.

On the drums, I've gotten away with not using one, but it is risky. You have to consider the drummer is moving around, flailing his arms around, banging away and all that. :)

So with the 603's I'd say it isn't totally necessary, but it is a very good idea, if you are recording something crucial. Just like the Oktava mc012's, the 603's are very sensitive to rumbles, bumps, and other minor vibrations.

Another good idea for the 603 would be a pop filter. You should have one handy for it, just in case. Again like the mc012's, even the slightest breeze, breath or minute air movement will sound like "pppppttttssshhhisshh!"

I just posted about this in a new thread. The Shreve Audio website does not list the MXL 603, but they do have them. Give them a call at 800-214-9222.

Phloodpants said:
Delphonic, are you sure that's the 603 ?? When I go to www.shreveaudio.com I only see the 600, and they won't list a price...

I was also unsure...so I called...and they said they had the 603s (they do show a 603s in one of the package deals on the front page, but you're right...they're not listed in the Marshall section).

Because they are about $30 less than everyone else, I also asked if they were new (not refirbished...or something tricky)...and the sales rep assured me they were (After working in retail I'm paranoid...never hurts to ask).

I was told they'd be sent out today and should be here in 3-5 days...I'll follow up on the other post if I have any problems.

About the shock mounts...does anyone else had problems w/ not using one?
What kind (type?) of mount would you recommend?

Thanks!...delphonic

i found a used octava mc012s at a local music store today and they wanted $100.00 for it. It comes with the pad and one capsule. Is that a good deal? I have an mxl 603s that I haven't tried out yet and a pair of at4041's that i love...

-daniel

swsmusic said:
i found a used octava mc012s at a local music store today and they wanted $100.00 for it. It comes with the pad and one capsule. Is that a good deal?...

I don't think so. For a used one--that I knew worked and sounded good, I'd pay $50. No more. For $120 you could get another 603 and a pair of ECM8000s. Then you wouuld have a lot of choices for overheads or stereo micing acoustic instruments.

Guitar Center sells them new for $99 two or three times during the year. A pawn deal for $100 may sound like a good deal to you, but not to me--especially when I can buy two new 603s for that same $100.

Actually I'm only half right--you usually have to purchase two to get the $99 price, although I do have one GC flyer from last year listing them at $99 for one. I still wouldn't pay anywhere near $100 for a pawnshop MC012.

Last edited:
wait, if the nt3s are hypercardoid.......

does that mean a pair of them with the sonusman (or was it mixerman?) drum technique won't get a good picture of the kit????
:(

Back