Marshall MG100hdfx vs. AVT50

whats good for recording and a few gigs for under $500?

• Marshall MG100hdfx

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Marshall AVT50

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Save your money and buy something that'll take years to afford

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Get the Behringer head!

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

distortedrumble

all up in yo grill!
not really willing to go over $500 and these two look pretty decent.

the uses are recording and gigs but mainly recording at this point.

Ive never used the Hdfx, but i got the MG100DFX, solid as a rock, ive ran a show with it and it still manages to hold up really well and i have had no problems with it since i got it. The Hdfx dosent have valves right?. But thats the biggest problem, I'd say save up and get some valves.

- Idgeit

I've got the AVT 50h with a JCM900 2x12 cab. I have been really pleased with it as a live amp. I struggled all day long in a music store to decide between the AVT50h or a DSL40 combo, going back and forth. The DSL40 in retrospect sounded a little better, but the AVT50 is very close. I was actively gigging and felt the AVT50 would be more road worthy. On a scale of 1 to 10, the AVT is probably a 7.5 and the DSL40 is an 8. 10's are saved for the botique amps.

The MG series, to me, just didn't have the warmth since they are 100% solid state. The AVT series is a hybrid, half tube/half solid state.

Don't know if that helped a bit.

if your going to spend 500 on a head at least find a 5150 on ebay, both those marshalls suck, they sound so shitty and fake. just get something that will sound good, if your recording you shouldnt waste your time with those amps

I owned the avt50 and the 1960a cab and honestly while I liked the tone of the 50 when I first got it, i hate it now. Sixways said its half solid state half tube, thats not really true. Most tube heads have more than one tube preamp and then several power tubes. This things comes with one 12ax7 and thats it. I had a band in a few months ago with the cheapo marshall solid state everyone has and I honestly liked the tone better, eventhough they both suck really. I've also had problems with the avt50 making ridiculously loud grinding noises that just seem to come and go as they please and let me tell you that can really screw up a recording. I hated the act50 so much I sold it just a couple days ago. Don't let the fact it has a tube convince you its gonna have tube character cause it won't.

jonnyc said:
Don't let the fact it has a tube convince you its gonna have tube character cause it won't.

Did to me, live and cranked anyway. Recording wise, it sucks. Miked or line outs.

Try a Marshall Valvestate 100 head. They are pretty damn cheap (bought one today locally for $150!) and they are a step up from an all solid-state amp because they have one 12AX7 in there.

Back