Marshall Electronic vs. behringer vs. samson

shortyc

I'm on my to a nice cheap mic....

sadly enough i have to add an extra 50 dollars cause i need a phantom power supply....

choices:

1. behringer b1 w/ shock, windscreen, case - 99.99
2. mxl 990 w/ shockmount 69.99
3. samson c01 69.99 add shock 39.99
4. mca sp01 w/ clip - 39.99

Anyone have any good advice on these mics?

There's a couple of others you might want to look at in your price range, since the ones on your list tend to be not so well liked:

Marshall V67 - Usually can be had for $99 or less and is pretty highly regarded around here

Studio Projects B1 - $79 - same as above

Shure SM57 - $89 new, much less used - A mic you'll keep forever, great on somethings, never terrible on anything, and you won't need phantom power.

If you're going to spend $50 for a Phantom Power supply, save up another $30 and get an Audio Buddy Mic Preamp. It's a nice entry level piece of gear.

I hope this helps out.

thanks guys

I'll check those out. Any suggestions on the best place to buy recording equip (perfer. online)?

I only know:

sam ash
guitar center
musiciansfriend
8th street music (it's near my job)
sweetwater(prices are never low enough)
zzounds (never go to this website)

8th street; Studio Projects B1 or MXLv67G. the Samson CO1 isn't bad, but it's very "hissy"...

Musicians Friend is fine, but they don't carry SP. They do have a 45 day return policy. ZZSounds seems good too.

The MXL 990 is a pretty good mic if you're looking for something on the mellower side

The Behringer is too harsh and overly bright, the Samsons suck big time, if you ask me. The MCA I don't know.

Apart from that I second freshmattyp's suggestions.

Rossi said:
The MXL 990 is a pretty good mic if you're looking for something on the mellower side

What do you mean by mellow? I'm hoping that could mean a good thing for me cause that mic is going for pretty cheap! I'm mostly doing hip hop & rnb vocals.

As far as 8th street....the experience is positive if you order online...but going in the store can be a pain sometimes! i buy from them anyway.

Going with the Studio Projects

I think I'm gonna go with the studio projects b1.

And then I'm just gonna cop the new behringer tube preamp for my phantom power. That is going for 39.99.

Thanks everyone!

Re: Going with the Studio Projects

shortyc said:
I think I'm gonna go with the studio projects b1.

And then I'm just gonna cop the new behringer tube preamp for my phantom power. That is going for 39.99.

Thanks everyone!

The SPB1 is a beauty. Just curious, what new Behringer tube is going for $39?

Also, have you considered an M-Audio "Audio Buddy" preamp? (I believe these are price competetive and have phantom?)

DJL said:
Don't get the 990 or B1... the MXL V67G is a better vocal mic.

I have all 3 of the above.

I only tried the B1 once, but it did not cut it compared to my V67g for vox that is.

I never even plugged up the 990 yet. It came with some friends of mine who bought one of those studio starter kits and they gave it and another mic to me.

My partner who knows nothing about gear started his vox on the B1 when I got it. About half way through he was like something doesnt sound right. I could hear it instantly. I unplugged the B1 and plugged back in the v67g and he was like ,,, ok thats better.

I think think B1 is a more well rounded mic fom all the reading I have done. But since I am only tracking vox right now,, I havent pulled the B1 out to hear it on anything else.

for vox,,, I would go V67g

Malcolm

prob. right

are you talking about the SPb1?

I'm sure the v67 sounds better, if I do decide on that today it would cost me an extra 20 dollars.

we'll see what happens!

Re: prob. right

shortyc said:
are you talking about the SPb1?

I'm sure the v67 sounds better, if I do decide on that today it would cost me an extra 20 dollars.

we'll see what happens!

yes, SP B1

good luck

malcolm

shortyc, by "mellow" I mean the 990 doesn't sound as bright and "big" as many other LDs. In fact it isn't a "real" LD. The diaphragm is only 3/4". The 990 sounds more like real life, not larger than life. If that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on your voice or application. If you're looking for breathy, silky vocals, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a mic with solid mids, the 990 is a good choice. I think the 990 is an underrated mic.

Re: prob. right

By the way, the M-Audio Audio Buddy is 2 channels for $79.00. You may want to consider it. Actually, talk to the people at 8th street. They seem knowledgable and motvated to sell you what you'll really be happy with.

Got the mic

I got the SPb1 and the behringer preamp.

I didn't hook up the preamp ( got that for my portable studio )

But I checked out the mic last night.

It sounds alot better than my shure pg-58, that's all I can say. I do prefer a warmer sound and it didn't seem all that warm, but what can you expect from a 80 dollar mic? I'm sure using effects and eq on the computer can change that a little.

My female voice didn't sound as good on it as my fiance's voice did (of course his voice is deeper & bassier).

I paid 104 dollars at 8th street for the mic and a shockmount. Then my fiance bought the behringer for 40 bucks.

The B1, in my view, pretty much gives out what is put in. I hesitate to use the word neutral, but I don't think it adds warmth. Now that you have a condensor, you may need a pop-shield... These things are very sensitive to plosive p's... You can make your own with nylon stocking material stretched over coat hanger wire, or 8th street can sell you one...

Back