Marshall AVT

Wide Awake

I was trying out some new guitars recently and I played through a couple of the new Marshall amps, the AVT100 and AVT 50. They are solid state with a single tube, I'm not sure if it's in the preamp or power amp stage.....I just have the feeling it doesn't do anything but give some neophytes the illusion they are buying a tube amp.

I was very surprised by the sound. It sounded similar to the old Marshall Valvestate line.....maybe better at the really distorted sounds but the clean sounds were still a little sterile for my taste.....but overall it sounded very, very good and Marshall-like. All the amps I've ever owned, with the exception of a lame Sunn amp I bought around 1980, have been full-blown tube amps. I'm just used to the sound of tubes.

Has anyone else played one or have any thoughts ? I'd never buy something like this without a good listen in a quiet room, and I don't like it as well the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Deville anyway.....but I've got to say for a non-tube amp I was really impressed. Someday I would love to have a good amp without the hassle of tubes. If I was someone who gigged regularly I think I would buy one.

hey wide awake, i haven't tried it yet, but am curious i guess, i've always tried out every amp i could get my hands on, the transister amps sound good but for me, they don't when miked or after a lot of time playing on them lol. but hey ya never know,,,,,,i loved the marshal jmp-1 rackmount (has 2 pre tubes in it) but it only gave a couple of good tones (which is reall all a guy needs lol) but now i guess i'm after more tones for creative sake,,,,,i'm thinking of going and trying the mesa boogie tri-axis, sounds like it could be good. u ever tried it?........i usta use the marshal jmp-1 with an old rack mount fender super60 guitar head, only utilizing it's power section. it was sweeet,
everyone's using the pod, but i think in true tone for all around stage and recording, maybe i should go try say the tri-axis,,,,,whatta u think?

Back