Marshall AVT Fan - Suitable for recording?

iceyflame

Hey there,
I have someone coming in to record in a few weeks who has a Marshall AVT150, he says it has a fan, and it's pretty loud and has no bypass. Does anyone here have experience with micing a Marshall AVT150, does the fan get picked up alot? Any remedies?

Thanks

Chris

get yourself a long speaker cabinet cable and set the head up away from the cabinet and mic.

even if you don't have a seperate room, having some space between the head and the mic should be enough.

it would probably not be an issue on heavier style music. i would think quieter playing might give the fan a chance to be heard.

the only time i've recorded one was on a demo of heavier rock stuff and it wasn't an issue.

later...

I have an AVT 50 - the fan is very loud when the amp is started, but after 2 minutes or so, it dies down. Once it's running normally, it doesn't get picked up by a mic.

Even with the head on top of the cabinet, if you mic one of the bottom cones, you don't pick up the fan. So you don't need to get the mic too far from the fan really.

I also think that the fan would get drown out if he is playing his amp very loud at all. Just keep your mic away from the fan area, and maybe keep the back of the amp away from reflective surfaces so that the sound doesn't get around front.

Back