marshall amp recording

gframe

hey guys im micing the amp and doing a direct recording but i need help with the instrument cables, the output line on the back of the amp is UNBALANCED so should i use balanced or unbalanced instrument cable to my interface? btw "marshall" werent very helpful

thanks!!

You can use either balanced or unbalanced cables to connect your amp's direct output to your interface's input.

Balanced ins and outs are for controlling noise on longer cable runs, and they are compatible with unbalanced cables and connections. Using an unbalanced cable simply does away with the noise-cancelling signal but retains the original signal and shielding.

One thing you'll probably have to consider when combining direct and mic'd signals is you might need to flip the phase of one of the signals, adjust your mic position, or fiddle with the phase alignment in your software. This will help compensate for the mic'd and direct signals arriving to "tape" at slightly different times.

You can use either balanced or unbalanced cables to connect your amp's direct output to your interface's input.

Balanced ins and outs are for controlling noise on longer cable runs, and they are compatible with unbalanced cables and connections. Using an unbalanced cable simply does away with the noise-cancelling signal but retains the original signal and shielding.

One thing you'll probably have to consider when combining direct and mic'd signals is you might need to flip the phase of one of the signals, adjust your mic position, or fiddle with the phase alignment in your software. This will help compensate for the mic'd and direct signals arriving to "tape" at slightly different times.

cool thanks for your help

... the mic'd and direct signals arriving to "tape" at slightly different times.
How much of an issue is that really? I don't have "practiced" ears so maybe I just don't pick up on it but curiously enough I was trying some stuff last night that begs that question. I just picked up a Reissue Plexi and have recently gotten some new mics as well so just to do some comparison shopping I set up 4 mics and a direct out from the Hot Plate and recorded 5 tracks of the same guitar bit. The mics were placed differently; 3 dynamics right on the cab and a ribbon a few feet off, and I couldn't hear any phase issues with any combination of tracks played back. Am I not hearing something I should be or did I just get lucky? The worst part is deciding which single or combination sounds best!

lou

How much of an issue is that really? I don't have "practiced" ears so maybe I just don't pick up on it but curiously enough I was trying some stuff last night that begs that question. I just picked up a Reissue Plexi and have recently gotten some new mics as well so just to do some comparison shopping I set up 4 mics and a direct out from the Hot Plate and recorded 5 tracks of the same guitar bit. The mics were placed differently; 3 dynamics right on the cab and a ribbon a few feet off, and I couldn't hear any phase issues with any combination of tracks played back. Am I not hearing something I should be or did I just get lucky? The worst part is deciding which single or combination sounds best!

lou

Man totally off topic but thats god dammed genious....

Is this a standard practice? To mic an amp multiple times to find the best tone...??????????

If not i will employ this practice when i next find myself in this situation. I would be beat tweaking one mic multiple times....

I'd rep you 5 or six times SBL....

This is why a perpetual newb like myself likes this place..... to learn shit like this.

REPREPREPREPRPERP

Whoa AB - I ain't no genius. I thought everybody did that. I wanted to see the differences between the mics so I set 'em all up. It's pretty simple on a 4x12 cab.

lou

Yea, It makes so muc hsense to do it that way but i've never seen it done or heard of anyone doing it.

mind you most places i have gone to didn't really have an elaborate collection of mics to play around with.

Still a really great idea.

i'm with lou on this....i never notice phasing problems, and i usually have up to 3 mics at a time on my 4x12..(sm57, e609, and then a condenser a bit further back)..and yeah it's such a bitch figuring out which sounds best haha

Didja ever want to add to a thread, but before you read all the posts already in it, forget what you wanted to say?

Man, that sucks!:mad:

Back