Marshall 6100

fazil

Hi

I bought a marshall 6100 amp a year ago, and I do really love the sound.
But there's one thing that I don't understand...

It's got 4 6l6 tubes in it (sovtek 5881wxt which I think are 6l6 ?). Isn't marshall known for using el34 tubes ? El34's seem to have the reputation of having more mid's, which might sounds interesting for my sound.
I bought it used so maybe the previous owner loaded it with 6l6's ?
Is it possible to put in some el34's? I guess it needs a few mods then (or undoing them) ? Something for a basic DIY'er ?
It's my very first tube amp so I have little experience on the subject.

btw, It's not my intention to start a new "6l6 vs el34" topic, I am just curious about the amp.

thank you
greetings

It probably can be converted to EL34's but it's not something for the beginner. Current has to be measured and adjusted accordingly.
BEWARE>>>there are dangerously high voltages stored in the amp, even when it's not plugged in. Touch the wrong thing in there and you'll get the crap shocked out of you!!!

You could "google" the model # to see what came stock in it.

if it was designed for EL34s and you are running 6L6s in it the bias will be set wrong and the tubes will fail or the amp will not perform correctly. Since that has not happened as far as I can gather the tubes that are in it are probably the ones that belong there.
Some amps have a switch to change the bias so you can run different power tubes, I had an ampeg you could do that with but they only come on a few expensive models.

I found the amps schematic, says it has 5881's in it. Should have done that before. It doesn't have a mode switch (supose you mean like the MB rectifier).
Maybe I can get it modded by a tech.

Thanks for your response.

Greetz

yes you can have it modded by a tech, but is it worth it? you would probably be better off just finding what you want and leaving that one alone. :D

fazil said:
Maybe I can get it modded by a tech.
Well,rather don't.
The 5881/6L6 to EL34 conversion isn't just a matter of "danger-high voltages inside" but such a surgery means another OPT,wich costs some money,plus some other tweaks that a HONEST tech should tell you about...and be willing to make it by the book.
If you don't like the 5881/6L6's clean and crisp,"Fenderish" sound,just sell your amp and buy a EL34-based one.
HTH,

Back