Marilyn Manson - The Love Song - opinions needed

Haven't heard this one so I'm not sure how close you came to the original, but I'd guess it's pretty damn close. You've got Manson's vocal down to a T, and the guitars sound very much like his too. I think the snare could use some work, needs a bit more body. Little timing gark in the 2nd bar, and later on around 0.30. On headphones here so I'm not cranking it, but it sounds like a good mix, maybe a little bass-light. Good job all round

Thanks for checking it out - The timing is also an issue when playing all of the instruments - there always seems to be something!!!
When you say Bass light, do you mean the Bass, or the overall bass in the song?
I am always working on the snare sound too...

Thanks again for your opinions.

OK - Here is what I am looking for by putting this tune out here for opinions. I feel that my recordings are ok, but they seem to be muttled (meaning almost not clear enough where the instruments do not seem separate) I listen to other recordings on this site and some sound very clear. You can hear each part of the song without the sounds battling each other. Does that make sense to anyone? I guess I just need help on cleaning up my sound... any thoughts or criticism is welcome!

Thanks

http://www.swtestingsolutions.com/music/music_download_page.htm

dwkman0117 said:
OK - Here is what I am looking for by putting this tune out here for opinions. I feel that my recordings are ok, but they seem to be muttled (meaning almost not clear enough where the instruments do not seem separate) I listen to other recordings on this site and some sound very clear. You can hear each part of the song without the sounds battling each other. Does that make sense to anyone? I guess I just need help on cleaning up my sound... any thoughts or criticism is welcome!

Thanks

http://www.swtestingsolutions.com/music/music_download_page.htm
Everyone is looking for the same thing. It takes time to get it right. From the start, I can tell you that tracking it right in the beginning will save you tons of time and headaches later on. It's far better to get it right when you commit it to tape than to try to "fix it in the mix" later on.
Also, the better your gear, the better your mix. A track done with high end gear, like a $3000 pre amp will definitely sound better than one recorded on a $20 radio shack mic into a $30 cassette tape recorder.
The next thing to consider is your monitoring chain. How good are your monitors, and the control room they are in? Garbage in Garbage out...
Bottom line, you are on the right track, it just takes time to get there; and don't be disappointed when your songs don't sound like the pro's do, given they have an average of about $25,000 in their signal chain.
Oh, and let's not forget the years of time spent on the boards.

Thanks for the info - I agree that the pros have a bit more $$ invested in their equipment... just a bit... I will keep at it... I guess my sound has gotten better since I started though - I will try to get cleaner sound from the get-go...

Thanks Again

The overall sound is pretty weak sounding.
Your Manson impresion is pretty good though.
Guitar tone sounds not bad although still has this cheap sound to it.

Could be your soundcard?

Eck

dwkman0117 said:
I hope it is not the sound card, I just upgraded to the Delta 1010lt!! That would be bad...
Ok it wont be your soundcard then.
Id say it could be either a cheap pre amp or your tracking abilities.

Eck

dwkman0117 said:
Ok - don't freak out, but I do record my guitar tracks directly through a line 6 Pod 2.0.... do you think it would make that big of difference recording it from the amp - via a mic?
Whos freaking out?
Im trying to help you!

line 6 Pod = crap. Mesa Boogis amp = ahhh nice.

Its not just your guitar tracks though, its all your tracks.
Thats why I posted my laste post.

Good luck.
Eck

Let me explain my "freak out" comment - I have read people freaking out when talking about the pod... so, I just knew it was coming...
I will try through the amp next time to see if at least the guitar is better sounding - I also need to upgrade my vocal mics...

thanks

I don't know the original, but I guess this sounds pretty manson-ish. The drums sound pretty rough. The cymbals sound bright and shrill. Almost to the point of hurting my ears. I hear little to no bass guitar. The guitars have that 'direct' buzz-sound to them, but its not too bad with this genre. I can't really comment on the vocals because I don't know the song. They sound like they're performed pretty well. I really can't relate to this kind of music, so my opinion is probably pretty meaningless. It sounds like its done pretty well though. Just needs a few minor tweaks here and there. :)

Greg_L said:
I don't know the original, but I guess this sounds pretty manson-ish. The drums sound pretty rough. The cymbals sound bright and shrill. Almost to the point of hurting my ears. I hear little to no bass guitar. The guitars have that 'direct' buzz-sound to them, but its not too bad with this genre. I can't really comment on the vocals because I don't know the song. They sound like they're performed pretty well. I really can't relate to this kind of music, so my opinion is probably pretty meaningless. It sounds like its done pretty well though. Just needs a few minor tweaks here and there. :)

Thanks for the positive feedback on the song!! I do believe my weakest recording link is the drums - I am having a hard time getting them to sound good... I am going to try to record the guitars via the amp-mic. That's funny you said that the bass is non-existent.. on my headphones and monitors, it is almost overpowering?

Thanks again

dwkman0117 said:
That's funny you said that the bass is non-existent.. on my headphones and monitors, it is almost overpowering?

I had another listen in regards to the bass.
The bass guitar is pretty prominent, definetly audible.
I think the post about the bass was more geared towards the low end of the mix rather than the bass guitar as It seems to be lacking some low end. Not alot but adding some more would sound nice.

What drum machine did you use for the drums?
Was it one of those small grey ones with small rubber pads on them to hit with sticks and a kick drum foot switch?
I ditinctly remember that drum sound from when I used a drum machine to record years ago.

Eck

ecktronic said:
I had another listen in regards to the bass.
The bass guitar is pretty prominent, definetly audible.
I think the post about the bass was more geared towards the low end of the mix rather than the bass guitar as It seems to be lacking some low end. Not alot but adding some more would sound nice.

What drum machine did you use for the drums?
Was it one of those small grey ones with small rubber pads on them to hit with sticks and a kick drum foot switch?
I ditinctly remember that drum sound from when I used a drum machine to record years ago.

Eck
My drum machine is the kind I sit behind and hit drums and cymbals with wooden sticks - then I have these mic type devices that pick up those sounds - ha...ha....
I need to really work on the recording of my old acoutic set... check out my equiment list on the mp3 download page to see what I am using..

I will see about the low end..
Thanks for your help

dwkman0117 said:
That's funny you said that the bass is non-existent.. on my headphones and monitors, it is almost overpowering?

Thanks again
Dude, I'm sorry for that. I don't know why I typed that. I must have been thinking of something else. The bass guitar is fine. I meant the bass DRUM. Can't really hear it.

Greg_L said:
Dude, I'm sorry for that. I don't know why I typed that. I must have been thinking of something else. The bass guitar is fine. I meant the bass DRUM. Can't really hear it.
Oh, ok - that makes more sense...

Thanks

Back