Maple top on Les Pauls

IronFlippy said:
How thick is the maple top on a standard Les Paul?

On my Studio (which isn't THAT different from a Standard) it looks to be about 3/16"...so a hair under a quarter of an inch. I'd have to get out my caliper, but thats what I recall it to be.

My *guess* is that its a little more than an inch thick at the thickest point. Maybe a bit more, but that's the relief on my LP. Its a custom, though, and not a standard. I'm not sure what the differences are.

Take care,
Chris

I believe it is not very thick, and definitely not as thick as it used to be!!
I think they will vary from model to model!

Here's a nice one...........A really nice one!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow, that is really nice.

I just wanted to know if the LP copies had tops just as thick or if they were just a really thin veneer.

5/8", today, in 1954, and in every year in between. At least for a Standard, a Custom, a Studio, or a Deluxe. I'm sure they have done some cheaper ones in recent years, but for the most part they are 5/8".

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Ah ya, I didn't count the artch.

But the thinest part is about 3/16". (thats the only 'benefit' to not having binding lol)

How much would it affect the tone if the top was only 1/16" instead of 5/8"? I assume it would start sounding more like an SG at that point.

I don't think the LPs that are all mahogany sound like SGs. amount of wood, neck joint, different beasties.

IronFlippy said:
How much would it affect the tone if the top was only 1/16" instead of 5/8"? I assume it would start sounding more like an SG at that point.

It would be a rather drastic effect. That thick maple top is a part of the sound. It helps to brighten up a guitar which really needs it.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

IronFlippy said:

i think lp's are way too heavy to sound like sg's

I believe the Epiphone variants are only a maple veneer. Of course there are too many other variables to compare them directly to a Les Paul.

I was looking at the Agile copies. All except the high end model (the AL-3500) only have 1/16" tops. The AL-3500 has a 3/4" top, I believe.

Gorty said:
I believe it is not very thick, and definitely not as thick as it used to be!!
I think they will vary from model to model!

Here's a nice one...........A really nice one!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Looks similiar to mine, but instead of the white pickguard, has a black one...I LIKE the black one! Really sets it off! Might have to 'change' mine out!

LesPaulWarlockWall.jpg

Attachments

• LesPaulSpecial.jpg
    LesPaulSpecial.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 23
SMC Productions said:
Looks similiar to mine, but instead of the white pickguard, has a black one...I LIKE the black one! Really sets it off! Might have to 'change' mine out!

LesPaulWarlockWall.jpg

Very nice Les Paul Custom!........I love them! :)

Back